The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,495 Posts
Buckets work better if they are hung above the rear end of the goat- so they do not poop in the water. The heated buckets are
a pain to dump for a few poop pellets. (yes, they have to be dumped! it's so tempting to scoop it out- but, dump it!)
Put a cement block on the floor, so shorter goats can reach the water.

I use heated buckets- we have probably 10 -5 gal. Blue flat back heated buckets in the new barn and 8 in the old cow barn. Use power strips and plug into a GFCI. Make
sure the animal cannot chew on or pull the cord. Try not to let the buckets get empty. They do have a built in thermostat so they are not on during warmer temps.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have never been brave enough to try heated buckets. Saw a barn burn once from one that was hung up in a wood stall. I use bucket covers instead to solve the freezing issue but here in TN it doesn't stay too cold too long.
Same here we put bucket in box surrounded by straw, and hay most times that will keep it from freezing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use one, got a smaller one that I hang off the wall, wish it came in a flat side. The ones I've seen are not. But it works out well, I always keep an eye on it. I just need to move it, because the one girl stands to eat and her butt is near it and usually she ends up pooping in it right after I clean it!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Same here we put bucket in box surrounded by straw, and hay most times that will keep it from freezing.
If it gets to were it starts freezing smartpak has a really good bucket cover that I use and from where it was designed for new England winters I have never had to break any ice with it. I have one in each stall and so far so good. The filly and one goat likes to try to pull them off so if they get the side straps loose it will start to firm some thin ice at the top but pull the straps back up and there is no problem.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
Be VERY careful of goats wanting to chew the cords - for anything accessible to them. I like to run mine through a piece of pcv pipe and leave it with them before I ever plug it in. You can monitor behavior without a possible problem. Personally I use a low water trough outside with a heater, only accessible from outside. I break water if necessary for inside the barn . I'm not up for electrical problems, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts