The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. We worked our entire herd of ND goats last Saturday with yearly CD/T, Copper Boluses, Cydectin Wormer, and trimmed hooves. It has been incredibly hot the past few weeks. Our goats have shelter and fresh water. My concern is one of our heavy bred does. We bought her exposed but with no date of exposure. She has been showing typical signs of labor (as we all no every goat and delivery is completely different) such as pawing the ground, thick and stringy discharge with color change yesterday. She has dropped, her bag is filling up, and her vulva is super flabby. She developed big clumpy feces a few days ago, with no diet changes, and yesterday afternoon her feces changed from hard and clumpy to loose with no form. Not like water but thick and loose. We offered electrolyte which she absolutely refuses. We gave probiotics this morning. She is in early labor, I believe. Could this bowel change be due to the pending delivery and the heat outside?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If she is going into labor, then yes. I'd do daily probiotics. What electrolyte did you offer? Most goats like the horse electrolyte made by Farnam.
I mixed Goat Electrolyte by Manna Pro yesterday evening and she didn't touch it. I am about to try to offer it again in a few mins. Should I dose with pepto?

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
8,032 Posts
I would give her.pig scour halt over the pepto bismol. Have you done a fecal on her? If she eating, urinating ok? If she is in labor, I would get thru the birthing before I start giving her too many different medications. Even Nutri Drench 3xs a day will help stop diarrhea...if its from the heat, and that is given to newborn kids. So the kids would be ok with the milk they will be drinking from Mom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would give her.pig scour halt over the pepto bismol. Have you done a fecal on her? If she eating, urinating ok? If she is in labor, I would get thru the birthing before I start giving her too many different medications. Even Nutri Drench 3xs a day will help stop diarrhea...if its from the heat, and that is given to newborn kids. So the kids would be ok with the milk they will be drinking from Mom.
I truly believe that is what it is. She has been totally fine. We have our pg does in a "maternity" pen and moved her to a small pen last night. She has fresh water, hay, shelter with hay bedding. She has absolutely no other health symptoms and the bowel issues just started about the time we begin to notice outward changes in her for upcoming kidding. She is one that isn't super fond of human contact and has been coming up to us, yet another clue she is close. Prob worrying for nothing. I just love them 💞

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I like the manna pro goat electrolytes but I know what you mean, some of our goaties don't like it. Here is a homemade electrolyte recipe we have used that you can try to see if she likes it:

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
There are more ideas on this thread too: Home Made Electrolytes

And here too: Scours in Goats and a Homemade Electrolyte Recipe - Backyard Goats we have used that one it is basically like the first one but without the apple cider vinegar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Her stool is still soft but a little more formed now. She had the probio this morning. Only eating and drinking very little today. She is the first to feeders and last to leave lol. Dropped a bit more. Hips showing. Loose and flabby vulva. No discharge this afternoon. I think we are still in the very early stage of labor. She doesn't appear to be in any distress. I've attached pics of my girl.
Green Wood Grass Plant Groundcover

Vertebrate Wood Grass Sheep Fawn
Working animal Fawn Liver Grass Terrestrial animal
Vertebrate Mammal Plant Working animal Grass
Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Terrestrial animal Tints and shades

Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Terrestrial animal Tints and shades

1 - 17 of 17 Posts