Heavy Rain on the way, best ways to handle mud?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by showme, Jul 1, 2015.

1. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    So, the forecast here is 3-5+ inches of rain in a 24 hr period plus rain thru the first of next week.

My goats have a partially enclosed lean to--2/3 fully enclosed with a 1/3 open. It's under shade trees so stays dry. But with that much rain, I know the grass and dirt floor will get muddy from that much water all at once.

I have a sleeping area of one pallet to keep the gosts (just 2) off the floor. The ceiling is high enough to add another on top. Should I?

Also, while we have plans to add a gravel floor, obviously that's not done and the rain is coming, so that won't happen in time.

Will adding extra straw to the floor help keep them off the ground?

Also, my girls are on browse--no hay--and feed with waterproof mineral containers, but I know they will NOT come out to eat in the rain.

Will they be ok on feed alone?
    I give them a small coffee can of a balanced 14% protein feed mixed at the local feed store.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would add more pallets and make the pallet area bigger.

3. walleye

walleye New Member

May 28, 2015
    lebanon missouri
    Is there a way to make shelf beds lil bit off the ground? Seen a few like that and it was brilliant

4. WitchHazel

WitchHazel New Member

May 5, 2015
    NW Oregon
    I wish you could send some of that rain our way! We're having the worst drought in local history right now, with no end in sight.

5. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    WitchHazel, ME TOO :)

Thanks for the advice! Thankfully we had an afternoon of drying out a bit before this next downpour

6. WalnutRidge

WalnutRidge New Member

May 19, 2013
    Bremen, Ohio
    If nothing else put some full straw bales in there they can lay on it and be out of the mud and moisture of the ground

7. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    The rain is predicted to finally leave Ohio for a week. Which is going to be amazing. Wading out into the pasture has not been fun. Make sure you're up to date on their hooves too. Hoof rot/scald is going to get rough!

8. SeventeenFarms

SeventeenFarms Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    I made platforms - plywood sheathing over a simple 2x4 frame - that mine can lay or stand on when the ground is wet (hasn't been dry since last November; @ 9" in June!). Easy to clean off. Thinking of pouring a huge concrete pad...if it ever gets dry enough to do that! Depressing. But feel bad for those in California so I shouldn't complain.
    kbt