The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well as per most years, this week is typically the week our does start coming in to heat. So with todays tally, we have breed 10 outta 40 does so far these last few days with 5 of those happening today, which we did maybe 45 minutes before I started the feeding chores.

The funny thing is, tonight as I was feeding, I feed in a certain order (adult does, doe kids, old retired ladies, bucks, intact bucklings and then any other misc. pens that are being used). Well tonight as I am wrapping up the feeding and watering, I am looking over at the adult does eating, filling a water and to my right one of the bucks snorts and talks his buck talk to the neighboring buck. Instantly a doe pops her head up from the feeder, wags here tail and quickly walks to the fence line they share with the buck doing the talking, stand up on the fence and looks at the boy with adoring eyes.

Now here is the funny part, not 45 minutes before, this doe wasnt in heat in the least. It was like a light switch. She was eating one second and then click, she was at the fence waging her tail doing goo goo at the boys the next. :) Made me chuckle.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Hehe. Crazy girls :p

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
lol..Im still thinking "40 to breed"!! UGH lol

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL i can agree with the UGH :) Thats going to give me 80-100ish kids to raise... I have adapted to only sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night just because of the time it takes to feed babies before a full day at work. Kidding season is a brutal time of the year for me... but I wouldnt change it for anything. There is nothing as comical as getting tackled and mugged by 20+ bottle babies :) "Jump on the Daddy while he is down" is a yearly favorite!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
You're near Tri-Cities, right? I was going to suggest that I could come out and help sometimes, especially once I get my license, but we are out in Dayton and thats a bit far :p

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can come out ANYTIME :) My dad lives in Dayton and I do a ton of fishing in the rivers around there. Was just there Saturday for opening muzzle loader. Also have more family in Walla Walla. We are thinking about picking up and moving that direction just to be closer to the family and wildlife :)

But seriously, when you get your license, feel free to visit. I keep offering human kids money to play with the babies to help me tame the dam raised ones down if I get to busy at work but no takers. Hard to fine kids who dont wanna play video games and be outdoors anymore :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Oh gosh I would LOOOVE to! Getting paid to play with baby goats would be totally awesome! You should move out this way. Then you would have LOTS of help from me :) I'm homeschooled and not interested in sports so I am pretty free with my time!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
omg, i'd love to be mauled by that many goat kids!!!!! :love:

I would have loved that job as a teenager. Working at a grocery store is so boring compared to that!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Lol, I would come play too! Where we live, there is a lot of capstone that was removed to put our house where it was located. When we bought the place, there were card table sized slabs of rock piled too close to the house for comfort (read:snake habitats). So we hauled most of them to the back of the pasture (they will make awesome king of the rock jungle gyms for little goaties). One somehow ended up left near where the barn stands now. I go sit out on it, out in the sun, and the goats crowd around for cuddles and scratches. That is my happy time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts