The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I hang mine at chin height, then provide a cinder block or a railroad tie to allow them to be able to access the mineral. That prevents them from pooping in the feeder, but still lets them eat it. I have recently discovered that the 4 hole cinder blocks work wonderfully for this. They are heavy enough that the girls cannot tip them over - unlike the railroad ties - and they are tall enough that there is no problem with anyone reaching the mineral.

·
Love them goats!
1,058 Posts
I have mine set up the same as GoatCrazy...gotta love those cinder blocks. ;)

Do you do this with their water too?
I have my water buckets on 1" high cement squares (just so they're not setting in the dirt), and I found some bucket hooks at TSC that will keep them from being knocked over.
I have one attached to the wall in the barn, and another attached to one of the posts in their pen.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My husband connected our minerial and baking soda on posts in the shelters. He used some back round pipe and then the soda or minerals fall into a little square box connected to the pipe so when the box hets low more flows out. We are going to try the cinder blocks for the water. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
What brand are you using for your automatic water? My husband and I have been trying to find some good ones to use.
Thanks

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I have Politron waterers. I like them for 3 reasons - 1) the basin is shallow enough that I don't have to worry about kids being butted into them and drowning. 2) they have a thermostat under the hood that turns on 2 little arms and a 3rd little arm that runs onto the inflow valve thus preventing them from freezing up in the winter without needing electricity to run a tank heater or heat lamp. The flow of all 3 arms can be controlled by adjusting the thermostat. 3) There is a plug in the bottom of the basin that makes it really easy to clean them out. This is their website.

http://www.turnoverball.com/sites/default/files/documents/bwhitches-farm-ranch-catalog.pdf

We also run a horse-boarding business, and all of the runs at the barn have politron waterers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts