The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to thank the administrators here at The Goat Spot for creating this forum and/or the maintenance of it. Over the course of the past year there has been some good information I've garnered from it - not much, but some.

At this time, I would also like to say goodbye to all the members here. After seeing that you have a resident goat whisperer by the name of lotsofgoats, there isn't any need for any other knowledge source. Since I have no need to deal with such an astute expert, I will graciously bow out of this little club, and ask the administrators to remove my account.

It's not like 40 years of personal farming experience means anything anyhow. Y'all have fun, and good luck with your animals.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Goodness, lottsagoats only offered an alternative opinion. Surely in your 40 years of farming, someone has disagreed with you before this point. Good luck to you as well.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are absolutely correct, CrazyDogLady. But those people that have disagreed haven't intimated that I'm killing my animals or that my stewardship of the animals on my farm is anything less than excellent. With the comments that were posted by the resident goat expert my knowledge wasn't the only thing questioned and the intimations from that person were more than enough for me to realize that I don't need to be on this forum. There hasn't been enough information that I considered useful that I would keep coming back, and the thought of a regular pissing match with someone like that? Thank you, but I think I'll decline the invitation to that particular party.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Northwoods, you sound like a very intelligent person, So please don't be so dramatic!

No one said "Northwood is killing her animals, or Northwood doesn't know how to raise livestock."

You have insulted every poster/member on this site, and quite frankly I don't appreciate it. You may have a degree (just a guess) in chemistry, but that doesn't give you the right to be condescending to others.

I have years and years experience with both small and large animals. I went to the college of life experiences, and I learned a lot from others. I am secure enough in myself and my own common sense, to use what I feel is right and ignore the advice that I don't agree with. I don't get on my high horse and berate others, just because they "question" or have another "view" that differs from mine.

I have been an active member here, I see you haven't, maybe if you had been, you would see what a treasure this site is. I have learned amazing things from amazing people here. And while they (we) may be very opinionated, they all have one goal, what's BEST for the animal.

You know what? This is basically an anonymous website, no one knows you. Therefore if someone disagrees with your methods or ideas, who cares? Just go out, and look at your perfectly healthy happy goats and know that YOU are giving them the best care you know how to. That's really all that matters.

I am truly sorry you felt the need to post your exit in such a manner, maybe this could have been avoided if you had PM'd/Messaged the poster who you felt attacked you. I am certain that poster would have been happy to discuss this matter with you, as mature adults. Instead you chose to attack that person, along with the whole website and it's members.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
North, I think you are making a very big mistake. There are somethings that we can all agree on here. First and foremost, goat owners typically love their goats and do everything they can for them. Or at least believe they are. But if nothing else, we are all passionate about the care of our animals. Which can lead to disagreements. We all take the someone telling us we are not doing the absolute most for our goats, the same way, as a personal insult. But that is not the intent of the other person. Goats are a unique animal. They need a great deal of attention and the simplest things such as location can drastically change their needs. You can have one goat owner who dedicates their lives and money to raising the best possible goats and struggles for unknown reasons. They are doing everything they can, wanting the best for the animals and it just seems they are failing. There is always an issue popping up. Or you can have another goat owner who doesnt supplement, feeds a terrible diet, just lets their animals do whatever and their animals seem to thrive with no issue. The reason I am point this out is as I have always said, each goat is different. Each owner and property is different. What works for one might not work for the other. You take someones advice and make it your own. Change it up and make it work for you. We have all struggled and learned our knowledge the hard way. When we find something that works, or fixes an issue, we are excited and passionate about it. Often times to the point where we maybe come across as superior or an "expert". Its not that we are right and you are wrong. Its just what worked for us. Yes some of us post in a manner that doesnt leave much room for discussion. I have and am guilt of that. Topics like urinary calculi, ammonium chloride, wethers, alfalfa. I have a great deal of knowledge on this topic and am known to be kinda holier then thou. My way or the highway kind of poster. But you shouldnt be upset about people like this. The trick is to take that persons hard fought knowledge, and research it. Even if you think you know a better way. Add it to what you already know and adapt it to your own style. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it wont. I again say, even things like location can drastically change up a persons husbandry methods. And the person posting the opposite of your opinion, isnt saying you are wrong or you dont care. They are saying "I have already fought this battle and I want to save you from having to fight it too. So here is my information." We maybe guilty of lacking in tack, but every person on here just wants to help. Even if we post in such a way it makes us out to look like jerks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Northwoods - forums succeed because people can get a wide variety of information. Some we agree with some we don't. Don't take anything said personally and lead with emotions. Emotions are usually out of whack. I learned from both post. I take what I like from both post and move forward. If we can't discuss and yes disagree on things then there is no learning going on. I have learned a ton from this forum. I am excited to check in and see what is going on. You are knowledgeable and can obviously be a big contributor. We are adults and should be able to move forward.

·
14,615 Posts
Dave said it very well.
Location & breed can make a huge difference in management.
We have no resident experts here, which is kind of a slam on that person, it is not needed. Had I seen the post right off I would have said something right then & there. For that I apologize to both parties & the rest of you.
One thing that has kept TGS going is the "Keep it friendly keep it fun" slogan.
That does not mean we don't disagree.
And yes we are all passionate about our goats but there is no place for name calling.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I read this to my goats, and they think you should not get butt hurt over someones words. Your input and experiences may help someone else who is too shy or embarrased, or blaming themselves for the predicament their goats are in.
Just recently a poster asked why his goat had a duck. His tag??? GoatXpert.
You are helping goats. Please continue to do so.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Goat Forum mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts