Hello from Arizona

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ariel301, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Hello everyone.
    I found this site earlier today and thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Northern Arizona with my husband of seven months. We are living with his parents right now because we both lost our jobs in February and have been unable to find work. We lived in Colorado, but could not afford our apartment there anymore, and the in-laws graciously offered us part of their house and seven acres of desert.

I had some experience with pet goats as a kid, but this is my first serious venture into goat keeping. We purchased three LaMancha does in April from a dairy farm, and the owner gave us a day old Alpine/Oberhasli buckling for free as well. One of the does was bred, so we ended up with a set of twins also. Not a bad start.
    Our goats are:
    Flora Bell, an 8 year old LaMancha doe, black with brown and white spots
    Gracee, a 6 year old LaMancha doe, tan and white roan with black trim and white spots
    Ebony, a 2 year old LaMancha doe, solid black. We have sold her because she's not working out in our flock, and she's waiting on her new owners to get a pen set up for her.
    Bucky, our Alpine/Oberhasli buck. He's six months old and light chamoise, nearly white.
    Bonnie, a five month old LaMancha doeling, chocolate brown with black trim.
    And we've got Bonnie's brother, an unnamed wether we are saving to eat.

We were originally going to get sheep for raising lamb for eating, and I heard about dairy sheep and got interested in that. But they were too expensive for us to get, and I found a good deal on the goats...so we got goats. I milk them and make cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. We're also planning to grow a few kids a year for meat and sell a couple of doelings a year for 4-H or pets. There's not a big market here for anything other than cheap scrub goats to eat weeds.

We've also got two cats (plus a mother and five kittens we are fostering temporarily), an aquarium and a gecko. We had a horse, but she died in August. We are planning to get some poultry in the spring--chickens, ducks, and maybe quail.

We started a garden this year, but got a late start on it and some bad seeds and it wasn't too successful this year. Next year will be better.

Other than everything goat-related, I enjoy hiking, reading, playing with my aquarium, cooking, sewing, and am working on a couple of books I'd like to publish. I'm really enjoying the farm life; I don't even know how I ever lived without goats now.

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Welcome!

You know...pictures are a must. :greengrin:

3. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    welcome
    glad your with us :)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what wonderful In Laws you have :greengrin:

congrats on the goat adventure too -- sounds like you have a solid plan :thumb:

Welcome to TGS :wave:

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to The Goat Spot!! Glad you joined us!! :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome....welcome....so happy you are here....... :wave:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome :wave: So glad you are here.

So where in CO were you? I am so sorry y6that you lost your jobs, but it does look like it all happens for a reason.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!

Wonderful family you have...and they must really be enjoying your goats too....there is nothing like fresh milk for all those goodies!

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Thanks everyone.
    I'll get some pictures of our flock on here later today. I've been enjoying looking at everyone else's goats!

I was living in southwestern Colorado out in the middle of nowhere but moved to Denver where my husband was when we got married. We were there a couple of months before losing our apartment, but the move did allow us to get our goats, so I'm not complaining! We were originally shopping online for sheep when we knew we were moving, and I ended up finding our goats at a dairy farm 15 minutes from my old house. We had to go back down there to pick up our horse who was wintering in the mountains there, so it worked out great. We drove the 15 hours to Arizona with a horse and three does crammed in a trailer for one horse, hoping our pregnant and due any day goat didn't go into labor in the trailer, and a 2 day old baby buck riding in my lap.

The family is definitely enjoying all the free fresh milk, and the entertainment the goats bring. It's kind of strange, everyone I give milk to says it's great, except my huband who says it tastes like the goats smell. He's the only one who gets that taste, so I think it must just be him. I can't drink cow's milk at all and always thought I was allergic to milk until I tried goat milk. The first time I had some milk from our does, it tasted like drinking melted ice cream, it was so sweet! (And it makes the best ice cream I have ever tried!)

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome from Ohio! Sounds like you've got quite the group there! I'd love to see your goaties!

Anyway, welcome from cold NW Ohio!!! :D

11. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Welcome, glad to have you join us! :wave:

12. LomaVerdeBoers

LomaVerdeBoers New Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Az.
    Welcome to Az. Sounds like you have a great family. What part of Az are you in? I'm in Surprise.