Hello from Brockway, PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rkalgren, Sep 22, 2008.

1. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    We are new to goats and are keeping them as family pets. We have four right now, 2 that we rescued from the sale barn that were on there way to be slaughtered. My wife and I have 4 teenage daughters, which is the main reason four the rescues. They looked at me with there sad eyes saying "Daddy we will take care of them". Well, we turned into me, and I just love them. I spend a couple of hours a day just working with the goats.
    I am looking forward to getting more. They can be so entertaining and alot of hard work. We had rescued 2 others that the vet told us were to far gone, he could not help them. So they can also be alot of heartache.
    Bob

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to the Goat Spot Bob!! Glad you found us....goats are definately great ..and as you said, heartbreaking when you can't help anymore.

What breed do you have?
    We really like to see lots of pictures too....never too tired of seeing other goaties.

I have Nigerian Dwarf and ND/Pygmy crosses...they are just too sweet and at times really rotten :wink: Never a dull moment here!

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hello from Idaho :wave:

We started with 4 goaties also - now we have 20 something goats, 6 sheep, 3 horses (soon to be 2), 3 dogs, and a barn cat - LOL!!! Oh and can't forget the hubby and 2 teenagers!

I have Registered and unregistered Nigerians, 1 Pygmy, 1 Alpine X, 2 (soon to be 3) Nubians, and 2 Boer crosses.

I am so glad to see a man that enjoys his goaties!!!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well said! They are so addicting!

I scaled down to 3, then bought another and am looking at yet another :shocked: and I am breeding 3 this year....................... :doh: :wahoo:

Welcome :wave:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome :wave: you will like it here.......... :)

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    welcome Bob, what a small world. I grew up in Big Run PA (between punxsy and Dubois). Still have family all living there. I moved to York though. Its pretty close. Anyway, welcome and congrats on saving the goats. I currently have 11 goats, mostly pygmies. You will learn alot here, and everyone is great if you ever have a problem. Sometimes when I am bored I go through and read the older posts, theres alot of great info on alot of different subjects. So again welcome to you and your family. Cathy

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome, :wave: Glad to have you here. Sounds like you have your hands and it iw well worth it. DO you have any pictures of the goats? Congratulation on the rescue. :leap: :clap:

9. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    My wife, Amy, reminded me that I forgot to mention the rest of the family. We have homing pigeons, cockateils, a conure, 2 cats, 2 Basset hounds, 3 Dachshunds, and 6 German Shorthaired Pointers.
    We can not tell exactly what the breeds on the goats are, but I will try and post the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy,
    Bob

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh they are beautiful and oh so cute!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very nice goats! The reddish older doe looks to have Alpine in her and the brown one with the tag in his ear looks to be a nubian cross. The 2 smaller ones look pygmy/ nigerian dwarf cross....the one with the brown is young yet and the other looks to be at least a year and a half...great that ou saved them from an awful end..good for you.

Shorthairs? Do you breed or hunt? Or are they pets? Either way...I think they are a really nice breed. :greengrin:

12. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    We hunt, hunt test, show, and have bred one litter of the GSPs. All of our other breeds are fixed as they are not good examples of their breeds. My 16 year old daughter goes to WV in the summers to help a friend of ours that is a professional trainer. We got him into showing and he got us into hunt testing.
    Bob

13. Candy

Candy New Member

Welcome Bob & family. Nice to have you here. :cool: I, too, live in PA. (50 mi. N of Harrisburg)
    Candy :wave:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, it looks or should I say sounds liek you have a lot going on at home. Nothing like staying busy.

You have some adorable goats there.

15. CountryGalwGoats

CountryGalwGoats New Member

Hi!! Welcome to the site! Now I'm not the newest of the group :dance: You will learn so much here. I have been reading and reading and learning so much! Everyone is so nice and helpful! Ask away if you have any questions! Congratulations on your new goats! You will come to love them. They have such distinctive personalities.

16. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome Bob! I love your goats, they are so pretty! I am not sure what breeds other than the Nubian looking boy....very pretty goats! Thanks for the pics too, as already mentioned, we LOVE pics!!!

I breed registered and unregistered Myotonics, Boer crosses, and Commercial goats. I have 2 myos with blue eyes and 3 boers, and I cant forget about my beautiful commercial doe and doeling!

17. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Welcome to TGS and thanks for the pics. I'm jealous that you have Basset hounds. Pics of them, if you have time. Have fun here!

18. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hi! Welcome! I am also in PA, between Middletown and E-town. I have Cashmere goats,and Nigerian Dwarf goats, 2 mini Shnauzers, 1 Wheaten, 2 Siamese cats, 3 mini horses, and various chickens (I guess you'd call me a "collector") LOL. Does your Nubian only have one horn? Or am I seeing things?

19. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    Yes he only has one horn. They messed up while debudding him and that one grew in anyway. We would love to find a pregnant doe of one of the smaller breeds or a nubian, preferably one that has already kidded once and didn't have problems. We would like our first goat birth to be as relatively easy as possible, although I have assisted dogs in labor, a goat is a whole new ball game.
    Bob

20. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Bob, how far do you want to travel? The guy I got my bucks from has alot of does, I know he has some pregnant does but don't know if he would sell them when I was there a few weeks ago some were close. Oh they are all pygmies. His price was pretty reasonable. He does have alot of bucks to. So you maybe able to get one bred. Its about a 3 1/2 hour drive. I also got some of my pygmies from a couple in Ft littleton ( off the turnpike) she has really nice goats but don't know if she ever sells bred does. They have a website http://www.tripleigoats.com
    They are a little more expensive but there stock was very healthy. Cathy