hello from california

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DRJ Ranch, Apr 3, 2010.

1. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    Hello from Anderson, California. For about the last 3 years we had about 5 goats and a buck on our place this year we exampand though, I currently have 23 Does and 2 bucks 20 of the does will be first timers this year. out of them eight our fullblood, seven dows and one buck to help with my bloodlines.

I’m currently working towards selling goats to 4-h and FFA members for their local fairs; I’m also working on color in the animals for those that are looking for polka dotted and dapple animals. Any ones that will be culled will be put in freezer camp or sold for meat goats.

After establishing this I plan on working towards more of a quality meat production also I’m located in Northern California which is about three hour drive from Sacramento and San Francisco I’m hopping I can break into the market in that area.

Besides raising goats I also put in a 5 acre garden looking to expand this in the future and selling veggies at local farmers market, auction yards and road side sales. We also do custom hay we produce our own hay and will just have to worry about purchasing grain in bulk for the animals. We also raise our own beef and pigs on site and sometimes have extra for sale.

Beside all the above I’m a father too 3 children 2 step children ages 17 and 15 and 1 almost 2 years old and I’m also attending Shasta college working on a degree in agriculture.

Well that’s me in a nutshell.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave: sounds like you have your hands full with kids, goats, and the garden. But it sounds like fun :D

3. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    Thank you for the welcome, guess I frogott to say I also work 32 hours a week until everything takes off a little better and can pay my current wages at work. Then ill be farming full time, I can't wait for that day.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  5. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Hello :)
    Are you a member of our local meat grows group?

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Hi Welcome to the group! :wave:

7. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    hello Shelly Borg, I have not joined the northern california meat goat association as of yet will be joing that one soon right now im just a member of ABGA.

8. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Welcome from eastern Ohio! :wave:

9. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Welcome from midstate Illinois! :wave:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome...welcome... :wave: I am not to far from you ...I live in Corning CA..
    I am into Fullblood show Boers ... :wink: Glad you are here... :greengrin:

11. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

WELCOME! I live in elk grove and have been to anderson before~

12. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hi and welcome :wave: glad to have you aboard and hear about your experiences.

13. Seven Dwarfs

Seven Dwarfs New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Brush Prairie Wa
    Welcome from Brush Prairie Wa. :wave:
    Wow! you are a busy busy farmer

14. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    And hi from San diego -- my sister lives in Durham!