The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
My family currently only has one goat (a Nigerian Dwarf), and she doesn't even live with us...yet. We lived in the city last year when we bought her as a 4-H project for my daughter, and she had to stay at my daughter's friends house. We just moved out in the country a couple month ago and have gotten everything ready to bring "Flurry" home. Unfortunately, we do not have a herd for Flurry to join, so she will not be coming home just yet. We need a few more Nigerian dwarf goats to go in my daughters small pen, and I am hoping to get a few boer goats for myself soon.

Here are a few pics of Flurry in the meantime.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
:welcome:Hello from Northern California! Flurry is a cutie! She looks like she'd be great for 4-H
Welcome to the goat spot! Hope your daughter does great in the shows, and hope you get a nice little herd going!

·
14,456 Posts
Oh is Flurry ever one nice looking gal! I just love it when the young uns are into goats.
Welcome to The Goat Spot.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,911 Posts
Big welcome from Central California as well :wave:! Flurry is very pretty :) Do you know what fair you will be showing at?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I don't know that she will be showing Flurry. We got her last September, and haven't really been able to work with her much. The Dairy Goat project for the local 4-H never came to fruition because they could not find a leader. We don't really know the first thing about showing, and aren't even sure that Flurry will learn to accept the lead given that she hasn't been worked with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
She's a beauty :) I'm from central ca too :) just thought I'd share my experience. We finally moved to the country almost a year ago. I got goats right away, before we even moved in I made their pens and visited everyday.

Anyways I love all of my goats but it was hard having Nigerians with Boer living together anyway in my space anyway. Felt bad for a friend who's daughter was in ffa and they couldn't let him (a Boer) get sold at auction so I took him in. He was very aggressive towards food and ate a lot compared to my NDG. I know there are ways to make him eat his own food etc. But I wasn't anticipating all the work. So I had to sell him.

Be careful and thoughtful who u want in ur herd. Its not fun learning the hard way :) Welcome

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where in Central California are you guys?

Thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't planning to keep the ND with Boers. We moved onto 4 acres, and have a 100'x120' area for the ND area, and have pretty much the rest to try to work some boers onto it.

·
Super Moderator
31,741 Posts
welcome from central Texas : )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Happybleats!

avitia247, I live in Exeter. You wouldn't happen to have any goat available would you? 15 minute drive to Visalia from here would save me a ton in gas or shipping from somewhere else!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts