Hello from central PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Di, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Good Morning! Well, I've been browsing the posts and decided to join the fun. I have gone a little "goat insane" I originally decided I wanted "fiber" goats, so I have 3 Pygora does and 4 Cashmere does (also, I needed help to clear the "crap" off our 6.5 acres, but that's a whole other story). Then, my hubby found Nigerian Dwarf goats, and fell in love!!! So, we bought 4 little doelings (daddy's little darlings) and a buckling. Then, I decided I needed an experienced doe...bred to a really beautiful boy, and another bred doe so she would have a friend at the "new place". Does this sound familiar to anyone?

So, now I have two Niggy's due to kid the end of Feb., then basically, kidding's due every two weeks thereafter. That would be the Cashmere's and the Pygora's. Daddy's little darlings are now almost a year old and I think our buck is ready but "Daddy" isn't...he's so funny...I'm sure he expects "Fernando" to walk up to the door and ask permission to romance his "girls".LOL

So, I expect I'll be freaking out soon, thank you in advance, I'm sure I'll ask alot of dumb questions along the way, but I'm sure you all can handle it!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome Di! Glad to have you here with us.

Sounds like some excitement is about to roll on through your little herd there. :D

Well I hope your hubby handles the whole romancing and then pregnancy ok. ;)

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome to TGS!!! Congrats on the goats! There is no such thing as a stupid question. We were all in your position before so dont feel that your questions are stupid. The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.....good luck on your kiddings!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome DI. :wave: :wave: I have to say that you found the best place on the web that has lots of other people that have gone GOAT INSANE. After all that is why we are all here.

I have Cashmere goats also. Do you show them or just use the fiber?

Do you have pictures? We all love to see the goats.

Like Alyssa said, Please do not think any questions is dumb. That is what we are ALL here for. To help anyone and I promise you, we have all asked any question you might.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Wow, what a Welcome! Thank you. Lori, I do have pictures...but I am technologically challenged...I will be learning to post pictures, ASAP, but I may have to wait for my son to come help me. Actually, I haven't shown any goats yet, I have been to a couple though, so I'm going to show some soon. But, my cashmere girls are just gorgeous...they produced alot of fiber last year...it's here somewhere.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome to you! How is the weather on the other side of the coast??

Well - you are in the right place for kidding frenzy - we are all starting it. Mine were born on the 21st!!!

Good luck, keep us posted - and LOTS of pics please!!!!!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    DI, where did you buy your goats? Do you know the breeder Spring tide Farms? Peter Goth? I just love his goats.:drool: I met him a few years ago at the Colorado State fair. I was blessed enough to be his ring assistant, so he tough me so much, I think I went away with a head ache. :lol: He also worked with me on the fiber end. We had to judge all the fiber as it came in and we graded it on a scale of like 1-5. WOW, have you ever looked at 326 fleeces in one sitting? We had to it all in 3 hours. That was hard. But again I learned SO much.
    I also have a babies from a buck that came form ( ), :hammer: WOW, I forgot the name of the farm. It will come to me in a few as soon as I hit submit.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Di, glad to have you with us. I think most of us here have a least a little bit of the goat insanity!

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I somehow missed this thread! Welcome welcome welcome! Glad to have you here~

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I missed it to!Welcome to TGS!

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Wow again, I'm really smiling now! OK, Lori, I bought my Cashmere Buckling this year from Green Fence Farm, in Virginia. He is a son of a ('03 I think) Virginia State Fair champion. He's gorgeous. But, I bought the girls in '06 from a guy in Northern PA, and of course I'm having a "senior moment" so I can't remember his name. Anyway, Casanova (my buck) was not maturing as fast as I had thought he would, so in Nov, I freaked out and borrowed a buck from GFF, to get my girls bred. So, I'll probably keep a doe or two from my girls, and I won't have to worry about any in-breeding because they won't be related.

Thanks to all for the hearty welcome!

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Welcome to the goat spot and congrats on getting into this wonderful and addicting hobby. Have you ever heard that goats are like potato chips? You can never have just one!
    Never a dumb question. we all have to start somewhere. Im sure you will get lots of different opinions and lots of different answers, somewhere in there there will be something that works great for your herd.
    beth

13. goat fever

goat fever Guest

Oct 17, 2007
    Welcome from an person who lives inPA. I love the looks of the Cashmere goats, but don't they require more care than normal goats? Do you have to brush them daily?

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Anna, Not even. That is why we started into them. The only time you have to comb them at all is when they start to lose their fiber. Then you comb it and save it for shows (if you do that), or to use. They are the easiest keepers. I only have to do their hoof every few months. They have very thick hoof because they are from the mountains, and their hoofs do not grow very fast at all. There has been lots of different stories that have said that they are the only goat that will eat the noxious weed like thistle. It has something to do with their tongue and it is tough. Here is Colorado and really all over the US you can see herds of Cashmere goats. People hire them to graze down the land of all the noxious weeks, so they do not have to spray chemicals on it. It really is a big business. My DH has thought about doing this.

15. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Nice to meet you!

16. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Welcome Di! Nice to have you here!

We have a buck named Cassanova...we call him Cass for short and he is a Nubian. :)

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    That is so funny, I call my Casanova, Cass! I had a Nubian doe years ago, we inherited her when we rented a small farm. She was the most loveable goat!

I don't know about your goats Lori, but my Cashmere's were really wild kids, it has taken all this time just to get them used to being touched, no cuddleing these goats. But, I agree about the care...they are alot less trouble then the Pygora's...and, they don't usually have alot of "stuff" stuck in their coat, we used to have alot of brush in their pasture (our place was very neglected when we got it), not anymore! Now if I can just get them out into the last "no mans land", out back, I'm going to put up some temp electric fence and turn them loose, after they kid of course.

Well, we've had that quick drop in temps that the midwest just went through, not as sever though, hopefully the temp will come back up now, thanks again for this warm welcome!

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well this week it is suppose to warm up in the philadelphia area - so maybe it will for you as well.

Temps are suppose to be in the high 40's to low 50's

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    DI, Most of my goats are way to friendly, but last years bunch of babies were not at all friendly. Maybe it is because we had so many. :shrug: I guess that means we are in even more trouble this year. We have been spending a lot more time in the stalls playing with them then we did last year. We will keep the ones that are the friendliest ones. We have sold two bucks (wethers), we do play with them but I have to say not as much as the ones we are keeping.

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Welcome to the Goat Spot! Nice to have you :)