The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. We just got our first goats last night. Two female Boer crosses that are 5 weeks old.

We weren't planning on getting goats until next year. We just bought our first home on 8 1/2 mostly wooded acres out in the country. I wanted to wait until I got chicken farming down (my first flock...I have 12), but fate wouldn't have it that way. A friend of mine contacted me and was in need of a new home for the two babies ASAP. A neighbor turned them into the county and were told they had to rehome the kids. Instead of advertising them on craigslist, they called me. They didn't want the goats going to anyone who wanted to use them for meat or sacrifice, and since they new how animal crazy I am, asked if I would take them. At first I told them no...we just moved in on January 19th and money's tight. But then when they gave me more information about them, I knew I had to take them...or they might not make it.

I'm not sure if this is a good way to introduce myself, or the right place in the forum to vent...so moderator, feel free to move if necessary.

The previous owners were clueless about raising goats. Granted, I am too, but I have a family member (her name is Barbara) who has been raising Boer goats for 2 decades, so I have guidance. They started to wean the babies at 11 days old. For the past three days they have been only giving them electrolytes...three times a day. No milk. No grain...although offered, the kids wouldn't touch it. No hay. Just the electrolytes.

They are completely covered in lice. They have diarrhea. You can see their spines and hip bones.

Barbara told me it was way too soon for them to be weaned. The diarrhea was scours and needed to be treated immediately. The smallest kid has pale gums, which Barbara told me was anemia caused by the sucking lice.

I'm hoping to find lots of great information and support on this forum. I'm going to have lots of questions. I want to save these babies in any way I can.

What have I gotten myself into???

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome! You have come to the right placve at the right time & so glad you have Barbara to help you.
It's going to be a battle getting these kids on bottles but you can do it.
Whole cow's milk with a pinch of baking soda.
The black lamb nipples work great; smear some karo syrup or honey on the tips. They will fight you like crazy but you pry open mouth put nipple in & gently clamp jaw on it.
You might want to give them a little Red Cell but Ive never used it so someone else will help with that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They take the bottle. The previous owner was bottle feeding them the electrolytes...I guess I should have clarified that they were weaning them off milk, not the bottle (oops). They won't drink anything out of a bowl...not milk, not water. I asked the previous owner if they ever drank water and she said "Yep. From the bottle."

She was using a regular baby bottle (human) and cut the hole bigger in the nipple. That caused them to aspirate. I went to Southern States this morning and got a big bag of milk replacer, two lamb/kid nipples (the kind that fits on a soda bottle with red nipples), and some pepto bismol. Barbara told me to give them 2 TBSP before their a.m. feeding (she said 4-5 ounces) and 1 TBSP before their p.m. feeding.

I weighed them...it's probably not completely accurate...i weighed myself, then weighed again holding each kid. The bigger girl is 9.4 pounds and the smaller girl weighs 8.4 pounds. They are approximately 5 weeks old. Does that sound about right?

I'll go ahead and move my questions to a different part of the forum.

Thanks for the welcome!

·
14,615 Posts
Whew glad you clarified them already on bottle.
Yikes those are birth weights around here. Go slow on introducing the replacer. Honestly whole milk is alot better.
They really shouldnt be weaned until close to 3 mos.
Kids do not need water they will drink it on their own soon enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts