Hello from E. Tennessee

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by phil, Jul 25, 2010.

1. phil

phil New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Hi. My wife and I just moved from Fla to E. Tennessee. We are in an old restored farmhouse with a large 100 yr old barn. The barn is filled with old, but dry and non-moldy hay.

We picked up a Lamancha Doe with two 4-week old daughters last week. We are brand, spanking, new to the goat world. In fact we are new to the farm world in general. We are both NY > FLA > Tenn transplants.

We love the new goats and are looking for tips and lessons wherever we can get them.

Right now we are having trouble getting any milk for ourselves. Mom seems to be only producing enough for the kids. Also what little we get tastes bitter. My wife describes it as tasting like baby formula.

Would you consider the milk production "normal?" The babies almost exclusively nurse for their food consumption.

Could the old hay be causing the bitter taste? We also give her about 1-2 quarts of grain a day.

Thanks in advance.
    Phil

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...Phil........ :wave: .....from northern California....we are so happy to have you here.... :wave: :thumb: :greengrin:

Make sure ....the hay is still good....open up a bale and see if it has alot of dust....or hidden mold in there.... what kind is it? Sometimes if bales of hay are baled up to damp.... it will smolder inside and cause mold.... Also ...give the sniff test..... to see if... you get any hint of mold smell....mold can kill goats so be careful... :wink:

Congrats on your Lamancha Doe with two 4-week old daughters....can't wait to see pics... :thumb:

If you have any questions.... feel free... to post them in a new post... under what ever category it fits in best... so your questions are seen better :hi5:

I raise show meat goats ...so I am uncertain of the milking issues... but we have alot of people here that do know.....again Welcome... :hug:

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Hi, and welcome! :wave: I'm not sure if it's because I raise minis, but that amount of grain seems like a lot to me. Maybe someone who raises full-size goats can chime in on the amount. As for the milk taste, yes, what they are eating can definitely affect the flavor (we have to watch ours to make sure they don't eat the wild mint that grows EVERYWHERE here). I know this is going to sound odd, but smell the hay. Does it smell bitter? How old is it? Even if it's not moldy, if it's really old, it's probably lost a lot of its nutrients which could cause problems with the amount of milk your doe is making. A full-size doe with adequate nutrition should be making plenty of milk for you and her babies. There are some really good LaMancha breeders on here who could give you better details, I'm sure. Anyway, welcome, and I hope you find some answers soon.
    -Tina

4. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Hello!

Glad to see new faces :) I'm sure there will be someone here to help with your milk question... I'm pretty new myself. I think maybe separating the kids from mom for a few hours before you milk? Not sure about the off tasting milk.... doesn't baby formula taste good? At least babies like it lol

5. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Ha! Pam, you and I must have posted at about the same time. Great minds think alike??? :p
    -Tina

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Phil!!

The list of things that would make fresh milk taste bitter or some would even say "rancid" would be a variable one, at the top of the list would be "stale" feedstuffs, the next would be infection.
    Since you had mentioned the old hay my bet would be that it is the hay causing the off flavor, does she and her kids have access to fresh browse?
    Fresh browse, quality hay, ample water and a good balanced goat feed make good milk.
    Now, for the amount she's giving...her kids are old enough at this age to be separated at night from mom so that you can milk in the morning, giving her a 10-12 hour fill, they won't like it but a large dog crate or a slatted stall lets them see each other but kids can't nurse, provide them with hay and a small pail of water and they'll be fine.
    Also, at this age, those lil' girls should be eating more than just milk....get them all fresh hay and when mom is on the milk stand for her feed ration, put some in a pan for the babies, try offering it to them in your hand first then if they want more put it in a pan. The amount of grain she's getting...is it 4 cups twice a day? The amount of grain sounds fine for a large breed doe, with my mini's in milk they get 2 cups twice a day of an 18% goat feed, freechoice minerals, clover, alfalfa, mixed grass hay twice a day and all the green forage they want...and at peak production with a 10 hour fill my one little Nigerian gives 5 cups, this is with kids still on her through the day.

Welcome again!

7. phil

phil New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Wow! I came to the right place!

I tried to keep it short, since I knew I wasn't in the proper forum. We've only had them 9 days, so I'm like a new parent - worried.

It seems to me that I cannot give her enough to eat.

We picked up some bales of alfalfa. She absolutely gorged herself on it, to the point I was worried about bloat. I am now mixing in some of the best grass hay I can find in the barn. She demolished all the fresh browse in a couple days. Now she's picking at the higher stuff. She also has access to minerals, baking soda and fresh water.

The kids are nibbling on browse, and hay. They also are getting handfuls of grain.

The milk has gotten a little better since we got the alfalfa, 2 days ago. I am going to separate them tonight.

My worry is tempered by the fact that mom seems happy and very social. The kids seem very well nourished and very happy and playful.

Thanks again!

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Has your goats had CD& T vaccines.... ?

LOL ..... yes they do... :wink: :laugh: :thumb: :hi5:

9. phil

phil New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    The mom is 4 yrs old. I assume she has been vaccinated. The kids got their CDT shots 10 days ago. I am supposed to repeat the shots at 8 & 12 weeks.

10. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    I wouldn't assume anything. If you can ask the breeder, it would probably be a good idea. Just to make sure. If you can't ask or if the breeder doesn't remember when mama's last shot was (they're supposed to receive a booster each year), I'd go ahead and vaccinate her, too. Just to be on the safe side.

Oh, and I don't think I said, "Congratulations" on the move (as a former Floridian myself), and enjoy your new country life!

-Tina

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Tina....it would be a good idea to give it to her just in case....... not knowing for sure.... if she ever had it or not... treat as a 1st timer...

Also the CD&T tetnus toxoid for goats says..... after the very 1st ever vaccination.....it says... to give them the booster 21 to 28 days later.... :wink:
    Is this the kind you are using?
    http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail. ... cat_id=121

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Just wanted to say...Welcome to the group!!!