The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I thought I'd introduce myself before posting a question. I'm Katherine. I'm a homeschooling mother of two boys. Since moving to four acres in a fairly rural area almost 2 years ago, I like to pretend I have a little farm going on. We started with six chicks not too long after moving in. It was a rough first year and we lost two chickens. One to some kind of respitory infection and the other to a dog that got in the fence. We then got 6 more chickens which someone supposedly more knowledgable than me said we males when they were half grown. Tractor Supply was just about done with chick days, so I decided to get 6 more, red sex linked definitely female. Well, the boys turned out to be girls, so we have 16 chickens. I've learned how to wipe chick butts, clean out coops, combine flocks of birds, bandage up hurt legs and combs, and just recently, how to pull broken egg shells out of vents.

For some reason, all the ups and downs (and our long grass in the front two acres) put my mind on goats. I read and researched for quite a while before settling on a miniature breed. We finally found goats in our price range and picked out a lovely, healthy looking black and white Nigerian Dwarf who was bred 2 weeks ago. We've had her for a whole two days. She is super sweet, very headstrong, and decided that the porch is her home rather than the goat house I built. I thought her babies could be her companion when they come, but I'm already rethinking that and we might get another sooner. Anyway, now to post a question in the health section.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts