The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to establish a herd for grazing invasive plants on a large property in north Georgia (Bartow county).
I have lots of experience with horses, mules, and dogs but know nothing about goats or LGD’s.
It’s an exciting venture and I’m doing all I can to expose myself to as much information and experience before making a move.
I know LGD’s are a must where I am; there’s a huge problem with coyotes in this area.
Locating dogs seems tricky.
I’m also getting lots of opinions about goat breeds and hybrids.
Any suggestions, opinions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome! :)

Coming from a georgia goat owner, the best low maintenance breed is a "field goat" maybe some Spanish or kiko mixes. It seems at least in my area, most goats here are just an average low maintenance mixed breed that most farmers like. Parasite resistant, cheaper, easy keepers, really take care of tbemselves. Just make sure you aren't getting culls from an auction. Try to visit the farm and look at their practices, and see the condition of their animals.

For the LGD, check Craigslist. You can find good working farm LGD pups mostly anywhere. For the LGD training, I have no idea haha. But I know what you mean, coyotes won't leave my goats alone. I hear the dogs chase them off every night. They are a good thing to have.

Will be exciting to watch your herd grow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts