The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I've posted a couple of questions but thought I ought to pop in here and introduce myself. We moved out of the city and back to the country (FINALLY) back in July. Fifteen years in the city was 15 years too long! We have spent the past several months cleaning & repairing a disaster. Our goal is a relatively self sufficient homestead. We are planning to get some dairy goats and eventually some meat goats. At the suggestion of a breeder we met, we are getting our feet wet with 3 little weather boys before jumping into dairy goats. There are no plans to be a large breeding operation. We'd like milk for our family and for making soap, and some extra for local folks to purchase and any bottle feeding kids. My thoughts are to leave kids with dams during the day and separate them at night, then milk in the morning. At this point we aren't looking to do any showing.

Our current little guys are Nigerian Dwarfs Maui 7.5 weeks and then the twins, Chewy and Spot 5.5 weeks. We are absolutely in love with them. I come from the world of show horses, whose sole purpose in life is to wake up daily asking how can I hurt myself today? LoL! Our little guys seem to have a similar propensity! There is literally nothing they won't try jumping on! Until the weather is a little better, we have them in a 12x12x6 chain link pen during the day. It has been COLD here at night and our barn needs some repairs, so they get to spend the night in a pen in the living room. So that is where we are at right now. I went to look at some dairy possibilities last weekend and I'm really excited about our goats! I anticipate LOTS of questions going forward!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to TGS,
This is a great place for questions and learning. I'd love to see pics of your boys I bet they're darling.
As soon as I can figure out how to get my phone to post pictures, or get the pictures from my phone to my computer, I definitely will! They are super cute! Maui is a buckskin with black boots, a black spine stripe, and some white swirls on his sides. The twins look like rotweilers in their coloring!

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Welcome. I did Hunter / Jumper/ Dressage for years. I understand...
So glad you are here and starting your new life! Im in Oklahoma! I have meat goats& show goats.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,565 Posts
e are planning to get some dairy goats and eventually some meat goats.
Hi there! Great to meet you. :hi: It's wonderful to see people moving out of the city and choosing agricultural lives.

Are you set on nigerians, and later a meat goat breed or have you considered a dual purpose breed? The reason I bring it up is I have kinders which are a medium sized dual purpose and they aren't too common of a breed so I thought I would share with you that they exist and are great.;) Let me know if you'd like to learn any more about them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there! Great to meet you. :hi: It's wonderful to see people moving out of the city and choosing agricultural lives.

Are you set on nigerians, and later a meat goat breed or have you considered a dual purpose breed? The reason I bring it up is I have kinders which are a medium sized dual purpose and they aren't too common of a breed so I thought I would share with you that they exist and are great.;) Let me know if you'd like to learn any more about them.
I'm not set on anything yet. :) My daughter does want at least one Nigerian doe, but I was thinking about Oberhasli or Nubian and then crossing with boer goats maybe ... I went this weekend and visited a lady who has the Oberhaslis and she crosses them with the boer goats, but a dual purpose breed sounds great. Looks like I need to look those up. If you have suggestions for where to look, I'd love them!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,565 Posts
Go to the kinder goat breeders association website. They have a map of breeders so you can see if there are any in your area.

I have not milked my girls yet (they are going to kid in a month), but I hear that kidders can produce quite a lot of milk. The breeder I got my bucks from had a doe that was giving a gallon a day. Half a gallon though is more common for the breed. They are more meaty than dairy goats as well, and all in a smaller package than something like a nubian. They tend to be easy to fence, not overly loud, and I've found them to be very easy to handle. Here's some pictures of mine if you follow the link.:) https://www.thegoatspot.net/media/users/mellonfriend.32501/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go to the kinder goat breeders association website. They have a map of breeders so you can see if there are any in your area.

I have not milked my girls yet (they are going to kid in a month), but I hear that kidders can produce quite a lot of milk. The breeder I got my bucks from had a doe that was giving a gallon a day. Half a gallon though is more common for the breed. They are more meaty than dairy goats as well, and all in a smaller package than something like a nubian. They tend to be easy to fence, not overly loud, and I've found them to be very easy to handle. Here's some pictures of mine if you follow the link.:) https://www.thegoatspot.net/media/users/mellonfriend.32501/
Thank you! I'll check them out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts