The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We are in central Maine and are picking up 3 Does tomorrow. Two of them are 2 and one is 5. I know the 5 year old is a little older, but she came with them. We owned Sanaan does before and alpacas. We no longer own those larger breeds. We have a 5 acre, 1850's farm and will be asking lots of questions. It's been a few years since we owned our livestock and are new to owning dwarfs. We would like to breed these girls in October or November. Our winters here are long.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Welcome to TGS and congratulations on your new does!
Five years is not at all old for a goat. Many does can still be very healthy and having kids into their early teens. :)

·
Goat Crazy!
6,469 Posts
Howdy from Fairfield! We've had goats for 8 years or so now - right now we have 3 Nigerians and 1 mini LaMancha and we're boarding 1 LaMancha kid and 1 Nigerian kid. PM me and we can have coffee and talk goats!

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Hi from central Maine! I've had goats for 35 years (give or take). I currently have Lamanchas, Nubians, 1 Oberhasli and 9 Nigerians. I refuse to count how many I have total, but it's above 30 and below 40.

I've had goats still healthy and producing well into their teens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome! We raise nigies in Colorado and I'm so glad they are not as seasonal as full size goats and can be bred year round. We breed for babies in late May/ early June so we can avoid the late blizzards that always seemed to trigger kidding when we bred for April kids.

·
Briawell6293
1,837 Posts
Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions and learn so much! And 5 years is a good age for a goat. I have had does 9-10 years old still kidding. I chose to retire them as I was moving and the stress of moving them 2000km would be a lot so they are at their “retirement home” home with. A good friend

1 - 16 of 16 Posts