Hello from Maine!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by greatcashmeres, Aug 25, 2008.

1. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hi my name is Laura! I have four goats-Molly, Zoe, Gabby, and Ellie. I also have four dogs-Tanner, Maggie, Casey, and Emma. Oh, and can't forget him-a DH! The "girls" as I call the goats have been with us for a year, so I'm a newbie to goats. :wave:

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome Laura!!! I have 2 goats named Gabby and Ellie too....Ellie is mom and Gabby is daughter...that is too funny!

Thanks for joining us!

3. greatcashmeres

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you Alyssa for the welcome. Ditto on "too funny"! And here's my Ellie-half sister to Molly as you can probably tell from the colors.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh how beautiful! I love your goats.

Welcome to The Goat Spot :wave:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome :wave: Glad you've joined us! What beautiful goaties you have!!!

6. greatcashmeres

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you Stacey and Kylee; it's great to be here! I should explain too I was on GW, so I do recognize some names and websites I've checked out. It's good to see familiar names again!

7. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Hi and Welcome Your goats are beautiful!!!

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Welcome to TGS! I also have Cashmere goats, in fact your bay girl looks just like my Hallie! She grows the most beautiful cashmere. Looks like you have some woods for them to work on! Lots of experienced people on this site if you have any problems (hoping you won't, of course). Good luck! Love your goats! Very pretty!

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hello from Idaho :wave:

Glad that you found us!!! And thanks for the pics!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    real nice goats,,welcome :wave:

11. greatcashmeres

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you deenak, Di, Allison, and toth boer goats for the welcome. Sure is great to be here. Di, it's interesting you mention woods for them to work on, because that's exactly what they're doing for us/them (for fence). I tell them all the time what a great job they're doing. :clap:

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Laura. :wave: YEA, More Cashmere people here. :clap: :leap: Glad you are here with us.

Your goats are beautiful

13. greatcashmeres

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you Lori. I'm going to enjoy more people with cashmeres too. BTW I have enjoyed your website-found it when GW was up.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Thanks. Man that reminds me I really need to update it.
    Do you know who Springtide farms is in Maine? I would just die to go there some day. Peter judged out State Fair a few years ago and I was bless to be in the ring with him. He and I had to judge all the cashmere fiber and get a micron count on it and grade it. He tough me so much it was not even fully. He was going to buy one of my bucks but I ended up selling him before he decided to purchase him. He and Wendy wanted a white buck with new blood to add to the herd. Boy was I totally honored. Him just thinking about one of my boys.

Do you do any shows or are they really just for weed control and the fiber?

15. greatcashmeres

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I am familiar with Springtide Farm (Peter and Wendy) from when I did my research for cashmeres. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Peter. I have seen Wendy a couple of times. In 2005, my husband and I went to ECA Cashmere Goat Show at the NY State Sheep and Goat Festival in Rhinebeck, New York, and she was there. Saw her again last year at the Fiber Frolic in Maine. My Zoe's and Gabby's sires (STC Zeus & STC Will) are from Springtide Farm, but they are owned by Black Locust Farm.

Deb, from a monthly goat meeting I was attending, absolutely raved about the Springtide Farm clinic/workshop. I believe she liked it/him so much she wanted to go again. I have wanted to go myself and hope to in 2009.

You should be very proud "Him just thinking about one of my boys", because from what I've heard Peter/Wendy strive for the very best. Showing lingers at the back of my mind, but for now just the fiber is important, and the weed control comes as a bonus. I still have so much to learn, and then again, I guess we'll always be learning.

16. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Laura! Glad to have you here, your goats are really pretty!

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Wow Laura, you have some very nice goats aslo if they came form EITHER of the two farms. They are the best.
    I have a Buck that is the son of a Bonnie Venture farms. Kingsley the father of my buck was shipped out here from them. HE is beautiful. He is on my website under the bucks.

Wendy has called me and personally invited me to her workshop. They offered to put me up but I can not ever seem to get the time to go. I would love to. Peter is the nicest man, and SO helpful. Wendy she is as sweet as they come.

Did you know Peter was a Emergency room Doctor?

18. greatcashmeres

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you for the welcome FarmGirl18!

Lori, I thought I recognized the name Bonny Venture Farm; I had to look at the site again to be sure. I have looked at their site before and again recently; not sure if I want to have my own buck.

"Wendy she is as sweet as they come." Doesn't surprise me, I think at the 2005 ECA Cashmere Goat Show I mentioned, she showed someone's goat for them. Either the person wasn't able to for some reason or they had 2 entries. Also, at the 2007 Fiber Frolic she was making sure Yvonne (Black Locust Farm) got something to eat; believe she went and bought her a sandwich.

Looked at my pics from 2005 ECA Cashmere Goat Show (NY) and found Wendy's. I'll have to post it later via link; only full size will you be able to see her. Yes on Peter, ER doc!

19. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hi and Welcome from another Cashmere Goatherder!

I'm pretty new too - just got 4 wethers in July to try out this goatie fiber thing - so far so good and I've learned alot from all the really nice people here. Three of my boys are silver and look just like one of your girls (i forget her name - the first photo), and then i have one white. i got my wethers from oregon but got my husband from maine LOL! anyway - good luck and welcome!

ArcticGoats :sun:

20. greatcashmeres

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hi and thank you ArcticGoats for the welcome. Yes, Gabby looks like your guys. When you mentioned that, I could recall the pics you posted in Fuzzy Fibers. You also mentioned a shy goat, how is he doing now? Gabby was very shy too, when we got her, now she is so loving. BTW very nice hay feeders in the pics. "got my husband from maine LOL!," :slapfloor: is he behaving for you? :wink:

Lori, here's the pic of Wendy that I'm late posting. http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb18 ... pNY057.jpg