Hello from Maryland :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Allipoe, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Hi there! My name is Allison, and I am a new Goataholic. (hi, Allison).

So anyhow! My friend Megan and I have decided to start this crazy adventure together, spurred mainly by me. I have lots of nieces and nephews, as well as my own kiddos, who are getting into 4-H (I am going to be leading the group...God help me >.<) and I have this obsession with self sustainability. So being that I only have about an acre, and we already have the huge veggie garden, chickens, ducks, and bees, what came next? Dairy! And what would fit on a teensy tinsy homestead?

Teensy Tinsy goats. Dwarf Nigerians, specifically. I know they are the favorite flavor these days it seems, but they seem to be what the doctor ordered for us. Small enough for young kids to handle, milk well, and will fit well on my property.

We had some interesting experiences so far with our goat endeavors, learning the ropes was much different from what I had read for over a year in my researching goats in general. At the moment we are the proud owners of four ND's. Two adults, and two kids. Dulzipmer is mine, who I adore. The other three are Chili Pepper, Margarita (her doeling), and Aspen and belong to my friend/partner Megan. They are fun and affectionate and definitely an exciting addition to our little farm here.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello, and stop lurking on these forums. Finally registered and put out the "hello" as it were. So, hello!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome Allison....... :wave: glad to have you with us....love your name choices for your goats.. :thumb: ..if you have any questions.... please don't hesitate to ask... :wave:

3. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Hi there!!

We are here in Sussex County Delaware... just 15 minutes north of Salisbury, MD.

4. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Practically neighbors!

I am so very excited to get to know more "goat folks" in the area, as I find that learning from those who have already "been through the fire" as it were is sometimes worth a zillion "Goats for Dummies". I adore my books, but so far I am about ready to toss them out of the window with what I have dealt with as far as the critters go. They don't cover all the craziness!! I see you got goats from Avolino (Mon Reve folks, I mean). I am excited, as I am looking into getting a buck from there. That is our latest madness...trying to figure out how to get our adult gals bred... >.<

5. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We are still in the "new boat" here as we started with our Nigerians 12/31/2009. I am only book smart and rely on these resources in addition to others for validation.

Our initial herd starter package was from Avolino but only the two wethers and a doe were born there. The rest from other breeders that they were looking to sell when they thought they were downsizing. We started with 6 does and 2 wethers.

Our first kidding season brought 5 bucklings and 3 doelings. With doe only slips all the boys were wethered. We sold the first born wether/doeling pair.

We added to our little herd with a buckling and two doelings from Enchanted Hill in VA and buckling from Ashaway in OH. We are hoping to breed on farm in a couple of months with our two new boys.

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome. You will definitely learn more here than the books. I like to look at the pictures in my books but when I need to know something, I come here. :greengrin:

Gina

7. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Oh, I can't wait to hear how it goes for you! Its good to have other new folks who are there to go through the "growing pains" together. For example..one great thing I have learned on here so far: "Get Doe Only Slips". Hehehe....

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave: I to am not far away here in Southern New Jersey.

9. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Hi Allison! You joined a great forum... Hope to see pics of your new herd soon!

I'll have to hit you up about beekeeping, we want to try that next year too.

10. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Ooh, yes. I was fawning all over the pictures of your babies when I first started lurking here! I am thrilled that there are so many close folks around the East Coast, because really its not that far in comparison, than say...California. :D

And Polarhug, Beekeeping is how Megan and I met, actually. We took a class together on it in the spring, and discovered we were platonic soul mates! So we have become inseperable as far as our hobbies and lives, and totally get each other into trouble as far as enabling ourselves to keep trying new things! lol!

I loove my bees. They are hard, I will be honest, because you can't really "take care" of them. You can only "manage" them, and pray. I am very hands off, so my bees have a rougher life than Megans (who's are doing better. *hangs head*). But they are by far the most fascinating creatures I have ever had. Opening that hive, seeing what they do, and how they do it...its absolutely humbling. Not to mention the whole "is today the day I will get stung?" Which hasn't happend. ...yet. >.> My day is coming, I am sure! But sure! Feel free to chat me up about bees! I love them!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    kids are just adorable and make up for all the frustrations that winter has.

I am blessed to be near a lot of good breeding lines but I am trying to start my own so its going to be a slow going until I get what I really really want

12. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Ooohhhh beekeeping... we should start a separate thread or folder on that topic. We are hoping to get into that next year. I have two allergy sufferers in-house and they have benefited from the local honey from Gumboro or Delmar.