Hello from Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Grand_Design, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Grand_Design

Grand_Design New Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Hey all! I'm Ginger from the cold, frozen flatland of Minnesota. I raise Nubians and have worked with goats for about nine years. I currently have six goats - I had a decent number more, but I did some serious downsizing, and then the blizzard we had took out my three remaining meat wethers. I have blood from Goldthwaite and Blissberry, and I have two kid reservations from Saada in the spring - so excited! So hello everyone, I am glad to be here, and I hope to make friends and learn lots, as well as participate in some hearty goat talk. :stars:

2. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Welcome! There are a few of us from the Freezing Minnesota on here!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...Welcome....so happy you are here..... :thumb: :wave: :greengrin:

4. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    Welcome from Arizona :greengrin: I have never been to Minnesota myself but my dad was born and raise in Duluth (sp? :doh: ). I have heard lots of stories of climing out the upstairs windows and digging to the front door :ROFL:

5. crazyt

crazyt New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    We live in southern Minnesota by Rochester. We raise Boer goats. We have 4 reg Full Bloods does, 2 commercial, and 1 percentage red doe. Our full blood buck is 100% red with the only white tickling is on his one ear. He is out of 2 BLACK parents. We are very excited what he will throw with our red doe. When we were picking out our does, we looked for confirmation first, then papers. It now turns out that 4 of our does all were born at the same farm--North Star from Pine Island.

I am like you, looked around on the site for a while, then decided to jump in and get the feet wet. Do not know much about Nubians, but I am new to this whole goat thing. And, it is way different that we do on the weekends--officials at racetracks.

PS--we have snow taller then the goats. We can not even open up our split doors to let our goat children outside. We have 6 ft drifts in the pasture. My horses are walking over the fences these days. We are 45" right now of snow-and winter just started

Jenn9ifer

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome from PA!

I don't envy all that snow!! But cold, I can relate to...today was the first day we hit 32* in over 2 weeks! Windy too...made it even colder, though on calm nights, even with temps in the single digits, I'd find my goats sleeping outside...Brrrr

7. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Hello from Oregon... where we are swimming & snorkling to get to the barn to feed thanks to all the rain!!! UGH!!

Glad you're here! :dance:

8. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Hello from Washington! We're also swimming here.... I sink into my backyard when I go out to see my goaties... Nigerian Dwarf. Nice to have you here.
    Heidi

9. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    Hello from Alabama!

Even we got snow...on Christmas day. It was nice for us, especially since it is mostly gone now.

Stay warm...and I hope your toes thaw out before June.

10. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Hello from another Minnesotan :) I am in a small town 1 hour south of Canada with my Nigerian Dwarf goats. Best wishes for some easy deliveries & healthy kids in 2011!

11. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    Hello and welcome from yet another Minnesotan. We live over in The Marshall Area and are raising Boer Crosses, Along with some Sanneen, and a couple Lamancha crosses. Yeah its cold and we have a lot of snow but we just keep scooping the barn doors clear and Blow or push the snow away from the fences. But we love it here on our little piece of Heaven on earth.

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to the group Ginger!!!

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm late but wanted to welcome another Minnesotan! West Central here.
    Blissberry and some Goldthwaite in our lines too, (must be pretty popular up here?)

14. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    :leap: :leap: Another Minnesotan! I'm about half an hour north of Lake Mille Lacs & raise Pygora goats, horses & Rhode Island Red laying hens + Cornish X in the summer months.

We are bracing for an extremely cold snap of double-digit below zero without wind chill. Bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrr. We have so much snow around here too that the goats have started stepping over their fencing. But our LGD gets them back in the boundaries right away. Good girl.

Most of our eggs are freezing before I can get the picked though. That stinks.

We have 5 does due to kid in late April / early May. We bred for later kidding this year cause it's been so cold in mid April yet in previous years.

15. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I am having the same problem with the eggs and the goats are getting bored! They don't venture out of the barn very much because of so much snow and the freezing temps.