Hello from New Mexico

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sound4hound, Jun 15, 2010.

1. sound4hound

sound4hound New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi! I've had goats for about a year, we're up to eleven and we plan to raise for milk, meat and fiber. I have 3 mini mancha does, 1 nubian doe, 1 angora doe, 3 nubian weathers (pets, not meat), 1 nubian buck, 1 angora buck & 1 angora weather. They are a pretty young group and I have not bred any of them yet, but I think we're going to give it a try in July with our nubian doe and our neighbor's nubian/boer buck (my bucks are too young still). We also have rabbits, horses, chickens, ducks, a cat and 5 dogs (2 big guard dogs and 3 basset hounds). I homeschool, so having the animals gives my girls a unique opportunity to learn. I'm originally from Michigan, but didn't have a farm there. I love New Mexico, but it definitely has its challenges.
    Nice to meet you all!
    Tammy
    :cool:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hi Tammy..... so glad to have you here with us....you will love it ... :thumb: :wave:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi Tammy!! Great to have you join us...and it sounds like you have quite the variety in your herd...the more the merrier :greengrin:

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Hi Tammy! :wave: Welcome to the group. :)

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Hi Tammy,

I'm in New Mexico too, I think there are several of us. I have a little herd of Kinder goats, which includes a nubian doe. I live between Belen and Los Lunas.

Welcome to Goat Spot!

Jan

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!!! Glad to have you!

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi Tammy. Welcome from Alabama. Pull up a chair and grab a glass of ice tea. It's sooo muggy here. We are getting....you guessed it. More rain. I am serious about getting everyone golloshes. (sp?)

Gina

8. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Howdy and welcome from Texas!! Great to have you.

9. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    Howdy from Alabama...transplanted hoosier...It takes a while to adjust to the heat.

I have eight pygmies...all does... Mable, Prancer, Comet, Mama, Suspicious, Gazell, Comet, and Cookie.

I am in the process of building (and fencing) a place for a good buck.

10. sound4hound

sound4hound New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks Everyone for the warm welcomes! We're adding to our numbers, but not with goats. We got a new puppy today, Bruno. He's just a mutt but will be an outdoor dog. We are also getting 3 Barbado Sheep on Monday. The only way I told my hubby that I'd get sheep is if I didn't have to shear them. These sheep just shed their hair, it's pretty cool!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Tammy, So glad you have joined us.

I am in CO and we rise Cashmere.

12. sound4hound

sound4hound New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi Lori,
    I tried going to your website and I could see the home page, but then it locked up my computer. Not sure why, but I'm sure you have beautiful goats!

Tammy

13. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Tammy,

My Moose is a Barbie! They are great. I keep him brushed so he doesn't "clump" up and over heat. I've had him since he was a day old. He's going on 3 now. :) We also have his buddy, Baa Baa who is a wool sheep. (hubby and I clipped him by hand not long ago)

We have 10 goats that hang out with them. Let me know if you need any help. :greengrin:

Gina

14. sound4hound

sound4hound New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi Gina,
    A Barbie - I love it! Hadn't heard that before. Since you offered, what's the best brush to use and how often do you brush? I'm not sure the mom has been handled much. There still may be time with the babies. My girls love to brush and work with all the animals. They'll have everyone groomed and pretty in a flash.
    And how about hooves? Are they the same as goats?
    Thanks!
    Tammy

15. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Sorry to be late in the welcome but I too am in New Mexico so welcome and I hope all your new additions have settled in well. A friend of mine has the Barbados she has a wether a ram, an ewe and a she just had a little baby boy who is growing FAST, she isn't much into brushing them as they are people shy but they have shed their winter coats rather well the ram is still a bit spotty but not to terrible. They have very DEEP voices I house sat and was constantly looking for the man who kept talking behind me :roll: finally caught on...LOL.... Well anyhow welcome and if you don't mind me asking where about you are located because I have a nubian who is hopefully bred but if not I'd like to breed her later this year and if you have a buck or know of one that'd be super helpful. Thanks and hope you have as much fun on here as I do. :grouphug:

16. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Tammy,

I use a brush I got at Tractor Supply. It looks like a large slicker brush, but it's got big metal teeth for shedding horses. I'll see if I can pull it up online and get you the number. I also pull/pluck him when he comes up to eat.

As far as his hooves go, they make a vaccine for sheep against hoof rot. If you don't get a lot of rain, I wouldn't worry about it. I trim them the same as the goats.
    I haven't had a problem with Moose, but Baa Baa (wool) gets the gland between his front toe clogged and I have to squeeze it. (ewwwww) It's some kind of waxy stuff. The book said it is used to mark the pasture?! I didn't know about it till the first time he started hopping and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I had to call my vet and he said to squeeze it. I didn't even know they had a gland between their toe. :shrug: You learn something new everyday with them.

Gina

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Found it! It's equine editions 6 bar steel curry comb for horses. The sku# is 5700419.
    It sells for $3.99. Trust me....that will be about the cheapest thing you'll buy them. :greengrin:

Gina