The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Hooked on Goat Milk!
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Melinda, and my husband and I live just outside of Kent Ohio. We have about ten acres and up until 2010 I was happy to limit our livestock to a few horses.

In 2009 I discovered I have the BRCA2 gene mutation which is one of the genetic markers for breast cancer. I'm super lucky and I don't have cancer but that same year two of my three sisters discovered that they did and while they're going to be OK it shook up the whole family. One part of the prevention program my doctor's recommended was to give up commercially farmed animal products due to the abundance of Estrogen (used to increase growth) and antibiotics (also used to increase growth). As I started buying local, organic milk and eggs it seemed silly to be researching how the animals were kept and fed while not taking advantage of our own land.

First I started keeping laying hens, then some meat birds, then last summer we purchased two Nigerian Dwarf does - one was milking the other was her daughter, not yet bred. We LOVE them - I had no idea they would be so amazing! We bred the younger doe in the fall and she's due any day (she's two years old this spring so plenty old enough!). The older doe is still producing about two cups per day which is plenty for our day to day needs. I'm excited to think of all the cheese I'll be able to make when Gerty starts milking! We plan to keep a third goat to allow us to easily take one doe off for breeding without leaving a single sad goat home alone.

Aside from the chicken meat, laying hens, and dairy goats, like the good little middle aged office worker I am, I have been hunting deer for meat since I was 12 :eek:. I eat "regular" meat when I'm out at a restaurant, or a guest at someone's house I eat whatever is served but at home we enjoy our organic or near organic animal products.

Our current animals include - 1 female Neapolitan Mastiff (Mrs. Figg) 1 male Beagle (Augustus) 2 tabby cats (Malcolm [orange] and Henry [brown]) 15 laying hens- a mix of Orpingtons, Buckeyes, EasterEggers, Marans, Plymouth and Comets plus a few miscellaneous, a Tom and Hen turkey (Homer and Betty), a dozen Guinea Fowl, a dozen call ducks (including BEI ducks), an old Chincoteague pony and two Nigerian Dwarf does.

My husband is not thrilled with the drift into farming, but he LOVES all the animals and grumbles while caring for them during the day (I work a 'day job' and he's retired). There are no children in the home to share the joy -but we do have a nice group of friends who stop by every week for what's been named "TND" for Thursday Night Dinner - every bit as random as it sounds ::p: My parents own a medium sized farm in central Ohio which is mostly in Government set-aside. My younger sister and I help them with it- this past weekend my dad, sister in-law and I all worked our butts off cutting firewood from downed oak trees at the farm. - whew! glad I have central heating!

That is all I can come up with on a cool rainy Monday!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Welcome from East TN! Would love to see some pics of your goaties :) And maybe one of your Neapolitan Mastiff, we have three on our little farm.

·
Registered
893 Posts
When is Gertrude due? Twins are the best because they keep each other company and give mama a break....and boy am I a sucker for a Neo, gotta love those big old noggins :love: Mrs. Figg sounds like our 3 yr old, he loves watching over all the animals. Well except for the horses, for some reason he thinks they are a threat :shrug: You'll have to keep us updated on Gertrude for sure :)

·
Hooked on Goat Milk!
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gerty is due on Pi day (3.14) and if she actually delivers on Thursday I've promised to name the kids pie names like "Peach", "Pumpkin", "Pecan" etc... =)

·
Hooked on Goat Milk!
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In case any of you know of a doe who freshened this spring, I'm looking for a small dairy doe (didn't have to be pure anything). My older doe freshened in April of last year and with all the stress this past week she seems to be taking a nose dive in milk production. Our plan was to have them kid every 18 months or so...

·
1,525 Posts
I have a girl who freshened two days ago, I pulled her buck kid and bottle feeding him. Im cutting my herd down so she is up for sale. She is a First Freshener, never been milked before, but letting the babies eat off her. She is ADGA registered im only asking $200 for her, she is a flashy buckskin.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts