Hello from Northern Alberta!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FlatLakeFarmers, Mar 18, 2011.

1. FlatLakeFarmers

FlatLakeFarmers New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Hello everyone!
    We bought 28 boer cross does last summer, and are expecting to start our first kidding season this april. I am super excited, and also nervous as this is totally new to me.
    We are hoping to expand our herd to 100 head within the next five years :)
    We also have a donkey, a bunch of chickens, about 30 llamas, 60 cows, and 100 sheep; not to mention the nine dogs and all of the cats!

If anyone has any advice, please share away :)

-Huyana

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome from PA!! So glad to have you join us! Wow you sure dove right in there with goats!! Lots of babies coming and you'll have that herd of 100 sooner than you think.

3. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Welcome from Rainy western Washington State... Northern Alberta... that sounds cold, is it? Course with all those animals, you'll keep warm just keeping up!
    Have Fun with the Goaties!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Wow! you jumped right it!!
    Welcome from Alaska

5. :wave:[​IMG] Hello from Southwestern Ontario and welcome. Alberta is near and dear to my heart; I was born there, did post-secondary there, grew a business there, and I still have siblings living in Calgary.

6. FlatLakeFarmers

FlatLakeFarmers New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome :).
    We didn't really think we were jumping in that quickly, but I think we were just excited to get started. Most of our herd came from the same lady who was getting out of goats so we thought, why not take all of them?

Northern Alberta has been a bit cold this winter, and we have recieved a lot more snow than the past few winters. Febuary was full of -40C/F weather, but March is warming up :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome... glad to have you with us....you will like it here.... :thumb: :wave:

8. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Welcome from north central B.C. I think everyone got a little bit stranger weather than usual this winter. Glad to have you aboard. This is a helpful group, I know they have assured me lots of times when I had a goat concern. Hope to see some pics of your crew.

9. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI