Hello from Northern Florida

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Little Cow, May 31, 2010.

1. Little Cow

Little Cow Member

May 31, 2010
    Northern Florida, USA
    Hi there!

My husband and I have a small farm with 2 horses, 1 donkey, 1 pony (belongs to our niece), a small herd of Dexter cattle, 4 chickens, 8 guineas (free range), 2 dogs and 4, yes 4, indoor kitties. We also have a toddler, John, who is rapidly approaching his second birthday. At the moment, he is with daddy for his bath.

I stay home with our son and run our farm. I do all the feeding, cleaning, vaccinations, de-worming, fly control, rotate pastures, etc...for all the animals. John tries hard to help where he can (he's great at feeding the calves, LOL!).

I was in the midst of finishing my degree in molecular biology and applying to vet school when I found out we were expecting. Perhaps I will go back to school when John is ready for school himself.

My husband is a family doctor in a local suburb. We met in The US Navy. We are both war veterans. I served nine years total and was a Surface Warfare Officer (I drove and fought warships). My husband was a Navy doctor and served seven years. We both got out in 2006. Like all sailors, I miss the sea sometimes, but being married to my husband and having John has been a true gift from God.

I was raised out west and have worked with livestock from a young age. I've owned two goats in the past. The first one was a mutt wether my dad and I bought. He was as amusing as any creature I have ever owned. My dad had to laugh, despite the mess, when Mocha figured out how to use the cat door and was found inside our home one night (must have been lonely!). The second one was a baby Toggenburg someone chucked out of the back of a truck after an auction. Jasmine was very stunted and sick when I picked her tiny body up from the ground. She looked so bad that I thought she was an ancient pygmy. She didn't even protest when I bathed her. With vet treatment and good feed, she came around nicely and was as tame and gentle as any dog. When I joined the Navy, she went to a city run farm for children. Because she was so well trained on a collar and leash, she was a favorite for trips to classrooms. I did everything with her including hiking in the Rockies.

My husband has always been fascinated by goats and when I told him about my goats, he was determined to have one. We are planning to raise a few baby goats in the fall. We have selected a site on our farm for a goat pen and since I have a lot of experience with bottle calves, I'm hoping I can gain enough information by then to be able to raise a couple of young goats. I would really like them to be very friendly and de-horned (because of our toddler). We would like two does, even though we aren't planning on breeding. Hubby wants "puppy dog goats", LOL! So we are looking at Nubians and Boers.

I have lots of beginner questions, which I will post as we continue to plan our future goat home. I suppose the beginner section is appropriate. Please bear with me!

Thanks for reading this novel!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!! So happy to have you join us!!

Wow, you have certainly had a very busy life the last few years! Thank you for serving our country too :hug:

Well, with the little farm you have goats would be a good addition, nubies and boers are just adorable with those ears! I think any goat can be a loveable pet with love and care...though there are some that are born with attitude!

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Welcome! We are practically neighbors, depending on what part of North Florida you are in. We're also doing boers and, like you, I wanted all of ours without horns because of our kiddos. But, since having them I have yet to see one of ours even think about trying to use their horns on the kids so we are leaving our horns intact. Glad to see someone close to us!

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Welcome from Northern Indiana. I would just like to thank you both for serving in the Navy. My step father was in the navy also.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Welcome from northeastern Pennsylvania :)

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome from Alabama. :) Hope you enjoy it here.

Gina

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome....welcome... from northern California....so happy to have you here.... :thumb: :wave:

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Dang, I better stop touting TGS on my horse forum or next thing you know we'll be overrun! :p

Just kidding of course! Welcome Little Cow! I do love seeing your Dexter cows on HC :D

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hello and welcome! :wave: Have fun here! :shades: