hello from ohio!!!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ohiogoatgirl, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    :leap: hi!!! :wave: i am in ohio :clap: !!! lol! i love these lil' goats! :laugh: :love: ha ha ha! anyone else into pack goats :scratch: ?
    i am also into hunting, gardening, natural medicine, native americans, brain-tan, and lots more! anyone else in ohio on here?

and what does "middle number please" mean???

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the middle number is from when you registered - its a security thing.

Welcome -- yes there are people from Ohio on here

3. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome....Welcome...........I am from California.... glad you are here.... :wave: :greengrin:

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Hello! :wave: I raise Pygmies in NW Ohio! :) I trained a few of my wethers to do packs. :) It is REALLY fun! I show them for it at my fair and got two third places! :greengrin:

6. creekbottomgoats

creekbottomgoats Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Welcome from Mississippi! :wave:

Connie

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!!! Welcome from mid-western PA! Not too far from the Ohio border.

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Welcome to the Goat Spot from NW Ohio! I raise and show Nubians. :)

9. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm new here too! From just a bit north of you up in Michigan. I don't have any goats yet, I am just starting to learn about them and decide what i want. Hopefully in about 4 months I can start shopping for a small herd.

My husband and I are members of a black powder club and we go to the annual rendezvous. I want to start doing brain tanning but i need the tools for fleshing the hide. I tried a few small hides and without a decent fleshing beam and scrapers I ended up giving up.

10. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Hi I am from North Eastern Indiana. Welcome this place has sooooooo much knowledge so take advantage of it.

11. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am in WV, I live right by the Ohio River though :) And maybe I will be sorry I ask this but WHAT is brain tan???

12. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Welcome from (south) Eastern Ohio - where several thousand of us are currently without electric - until Wednesday! :angry:

I raise Oberhasli in the foothills of Appalachia.

Glad to have you with us! :wave:

13. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Hello from North Central West Virginia!

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Brain tanning is a way to "tan" hides or skins from animals using their brains...I do the salt and scrape and "working" and then Neats Foot oil...but have read a good bit on the different ways to "tan" hides. And have just actually mastered curing them to keep the hair on them!

15. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Welcome :wave: from northeastern PA.

Seems alot of us here have similar interests. I went to taxidermy school and also know how to tan hides. lol

16. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    OK, you guys, is there somewhere I could start a thread asking for your tips on doing this? I REALLY want to be able to tan hides myself, have read a ton of books about it, but when I actually start trying to prepare a hide i just mess it all up! I'd love to be able to do it with and without hair.

17. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    ha ha ha! i am in harrison county. brain-tan is the process of turning a fresh hide into a usable leather using the animals brain. i had three hides but the dog got one (GR!) but i managed to salvage a piece big enough to make a small drum top (it works well). i want to make my own clothes from them. i am really into native american stuff. i am getting two goats on april 21!

18. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Hello from NE Ohio! :wave: Woa, I didn't notice that I already said welcome, so ignore my mistake :oops: whoopsie

19. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hello from Southern Ohio, I raise nigerians and love these little goats. Good luck on the two you are getting soon, hope you have fun with them. Welcome to the board.

20. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Welcome from SE Indiana!!