Hello from Pakistan.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Muhammad Hammad, Nov 30, 2019.

1. hi, how are you all doing.
    I was searching google a couple of days ago when my goat was sick, I couldn't figure out in time what happened to her and she died. But I found this forum, so i bookmarked it in case I needed any advice in future.
    My another goat looks abnormal, she is very week and her hind-legs are pulled inwards. I am administering Thiamine Injections 100mg/3ml twice a day for past 3 days because i think she is thiamine deficient but i need proper advice. There are no vets in my area so Internet is my best bet.

Edit:
    She occasionally grinds her teeth.
    She eats but not as enthusiastically as she used to.
    She has little cough and flu.

Attached Files:

Trollmor likes this.
  2. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    :hi:Welcome to the forum. I am sorry for the loss of your goat.:( I don't have any advice for you but I am sure that other people here can help you.

Muhammad Hammad likes this.

3. thanks!

4. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Very welcome! :hi: Hope you experience as much love from your goats as we do! :)

Oh dear, your goat really needs help. So thin, dear friend! This must have gone on for quite some time? Maybe, if you provide more information (people will most probably ask you a lot of questions, to be able to help) you might get help to prevent this bad situations for your other goats.

Grinding teeth usually is a sign of pain. Loss of appetite is usually a bad sign. I do hope that you get good advice from the goat loving and knowledgeable people on this site! Again, be very welcome! I am sure you can add lots of information about goats in your country!

I wonder, how many goats do you have? What kind of food can you offer them? Do you have them for meat, milk, or both? Can they choose freely from a good supply of food, or is it hard to get enough for them?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    FoxRidge and Iluvlilly! like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome, glad you are here. :)

Muhammad Hammad likes this.
  6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I would start with getting a thermometer and getting her temperature. The cough flu part would bother me and have me worried about pneumonia. She may need antibiotics. She defiantly doesn’t feel good and a sick goat can loose weight so very fast because she doesn’t want to eat. So I would start there and see what she is at.
    Also listen to her stomach. You are going to want to hear good rumbling sounds every 30 seconds or so. If not then her rumen might be off. You can get get some probiotics or yogurt with live active cultures. Actually it will not harm her at all of you just give it anyways. Another thing that will help is flat dark beer. Not cold but room temperature. I just open a bottle and pour into a cup fast and wait for all the bubbles to go away then give.
    I hope she feels better soon, she is very pretty

Trollmor and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I agree get her temperature, do you know how to check her FAMACHA? Can you get Bactracillin G where you are? I find it never hurts to give if they have a flu! What are you feeding her? Do you give any kind of hay? if so is it good quality? Goats can not eat "Goat hay" because it's moldy!
    Her legs turn in like that because she's uncomfortable, I would try to get her to drink some warm molasses water to get her energy levels up.
    https://i.pinimg.com/474x/a0/16/86/a0168679307762867e5c7945e93e2a23--show-goats-goat-ideas.jpg

Trollmor likes this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    While the thiamine certainly wont hurt her I would do a B complex to get all the B's in her. If you don't have any on hand, Cayenne pepper is a good source. Mix 1/2 to a teaspoon with enough water to drench. You can rinse it down with more water if needed. it wont hurt her at all. I agree she needs her temperature taken as well a look at her lower inner eye lids. To get a good look there, put your thumb on her eye brow bone and with gentle pressure slide the upper lid over her eye ball while rolling out the lower lid..we want to see the inner most meaty part of her eye lid for color. you want to see it deep pink to red, pale lids mean anemia and most likely worm load. Also as mentioned, listen to her rumen for sound. By the picture she shows she is not feeling well and her condition is emergent.
    see chart for scoring her eye lid. ( famacha)

Attached Files:

Trollmor and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

I agree with what has bean sead, also maybe selenium?

Trollmor likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Yes they are very weak. They actually are of my parents. Recently, when I came to visit my parents I found these goats to be very week and sick. Their caretaker knew nothing about goats and more than 50% food was being wasted every day. So, I took leave from my job and decided to take charge and started looking after them. I learned to administer injections ( which is very hard for me emotionally but there is no other way).

We have 105 goats, we have them for milk. they can choose from green grass, hay, black gram, wheat bread, cotton seed, wheat powder, wheat forage, and there are other crop-leftovers, i don't know their English names of IMG20191116163143.jpg .

12. Thankyou! looking forward to know better.

toth boer goats and Trollmor like this.
  13. her temp was 103 (two hours after i gave injections), I got my medicine supplies which include.
    1. Trimethoprin BP 8% w/v, Sulphadiazine BP 40% w/v (inj)
    2. Flunixin Meglumine USP (inj)
    3. Oxfendazole
    I have already given 1 and 2.

She ate 5 cakes, a chocolate, milk tea, and she has once shown interest towards eating with other goats.

db4168fd-4079-4187-9642-426fdbe377c3.jpeg IMG20191201225302[1].jpg IMG20191201225340[1].jpg IMG20191201225433[1].jpg IMG20191201225446[1].jpg IMG20191201225054[1].jpg

Trollmor likes this.
  14. I will check FAMACHA tomorrow, I will try to find Bactracillin G. Gave her warm milk and gras shown in picture.

Attached Files:

Trollmor likes this.
  15. Its actually B complex ( b1, b2, b6 and b12) but i thouth others Bs were of not useful.

happybleats and Trollmor like this.
  16. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

LOVE, love, love the long ears!!!

17. yes! they are beautiful

Attached Files:

18. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    They look so elegant... I appreciate you doing so much for them. Thats alot to take on. THANKYOU.

Feira426 and Trollmor like this.
  19. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    :) This is really something to begin with! :) Very kind-looking goats! (I like the brown spot over the eye of the closest one, I had a similar spot on one of mine. *nice memories* ...)

105 goats, and you just arrived (back home?). You probably do not yet know their names and personalities. Those of us who have two or twenty, can easily see changes in behaviour, but that is difficult with so many. On your photo, they look friendly, interested, but a bit worried. I do hope you can help them!

If you can find Latin names of herbs, or take some photos, you might get help here to determine if they are good goat food or not. Generally, goats are bush eaters, not grain eaters, so if you have rumen problems, it might be a fodder problem. Like @happybleats, I wonder if there is a parasite problem.

Good photo of the grass. I suspect you have a fodder problem. Let us talk more about that later! Are your parents' goats producing milk now? How long into the goats' lactation? How many decisions can you make without asking your parents' permission?
    This is good information for us who try to help you! :)

It will also be easier for us, if you can tell a little more about your place. How much land provides fodder for your goats and vegetables for you humans? How do you get fodder for them, what kind of climate do you have? Do you have many sisters and brothers to take care of as well, with what these goats can produce? What are you doing with the male kids, and with the old milk goats? Meat? Is it a remote valley high up in the mountains, or is it a rich place with lots of farmers around? Pakistan is a rather vast country, isn't it?

So far today. I really look forward to trying to help you do something good for - and with - these beautiful goats! I did say WELCOME, didn't I? It is very very nice to talk with you! About nice goats.

20. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes the complex is very helpful. Unless you are dealing with Polio which needs Thiamine or anemia which needs extra B 12, we go with the complex to make sure they get a balance of what they need.

Not sure what kind of cake? but I would not feed bread type foods, especially if rumen is compromised. Chocolate def. not good idea. Try to keep her diet bland while she is struggling. Good Hay, alfalfa , natural browse foods and fresh water..no milk, bread or sweets. Keep with the antibiotics you started. Flunixin Meglumine is once a day for 3 days for pain. Let us know what you find on her famancha and fecal. She is a very beautiful goat.