Hello from SE Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KatieT, Mar 20, 2011.

1. KatieT

KatieT New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hello Everyone!

I've been lurking around this forum for the past 6 months or so, and I've finally decided that I need to sit down and introduce myself and thank you all for this amazing resource!

I'm very new to goats, but I've been an animal lover my entire life. After graduating from college, I desperately wanted a milk cow but I recognized that a cow was simply not practical for my situation. Two years later, my husband and I took a friend to the state fair. The goat barn was one of the last animal barns that we visited, and while we all admired the goats, what really stuck with us was how friendly the 4-H goat kids were. One girl invited us to help bottlefeed her doeling, and a group of others offered us some of their candy. I remember one girl sleeping next to her goat in the stall while the goat gently picked at her sweatshirt. I also watched a girl milking her Nigerian, and I remember thinking to myself that that was an animal that I could handle. I also felt like I was traveling through a community that I wanted to be part of. I wish I could write a letter to all of those kids telling them what wonderful ambassadors they were!

I went home and started researching milk goats, and Nigerians in particular. I fell in love with them and put deposits down for two doelings this spring. I also found The Goat Spot, where I started reading about how wonderful LaManchas were. Goathappy, I can safely say that you great influenced in my decision to consider LaManchas. :)

Several weeks later I came across a Craigslist ad for a 5-year-old bred Experimental LaMancha named Margo. I brought her home during our first snow, and everyday since I have been so thankful for her. She was incredibly patient with me as I was learning to milk. She's friendly and personable but also incredibly dignified. She is truly the perfect goat for a newbie like me, and I just love her.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/554 ... 84d2_z.jpg

After searching for a companion for Margo, I brought home an 8 month old Oberhasli named Peanut. I always say that Peanut is the reason that goat stereotypes exist - she is always looking for ways to get into trouble! I really think that Margo finds her a little embarrassing sometimes. :) But she's such lovable goof that I can't help but forgive her for chewing a button off of my coat and nibbling a hole in my favorite wool hat.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5297/554 ... 69ea_z.jpg

I followed the Kidding and Birth Announcements forums almost religiously during the last month while I waited for Margo to kid. In Margo's four previous pregnancies she kidded 5-7 days early, but day 145 came and went, and then so did 150. I began to worry that something was wrong, or that Margo had never been pregnant. I tried to find any excuse for her longer pregnancy - maybe she was waiting for a full moon, maybe she was having does, maybe she was having a single. Finally, on day 153 Margo's udder filled dramatically, and on March 16th (day 154), she kidded with, yup, a single doeling! Watching the birth was an amazing experience for me and I was (and am) beyond thrilled with Margo's beautiful little girl (the level of cuteness coming out of that goat stall right now is almost lethal).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5300/554 ... a655_z.jpg

I laugh when I think about it now, but I honestly used to think that LaManchas were the ugliest goats I had ever seen - I couldn't get past their ears. But their personalities completely won me over, and now I think that our doeling's elf ears are the cutest little ears I've ever seen!

And that's where I am so far in my goat journey. I'm sorry for writing a bit of a novel, but I'm sure that many of you can relate to my inability to be brief when I talk about my much-loved little herd!

I continue to look forward to the birth of my Nigerians with enthusiasm - if all goes well and the doelings I reserved are born, they should arrive at our farm in mid-summer!

Again, thank you all for sharing so much wisdom on this thread (as well as photos of your adorable new additions - I can't get enough of them!) and for being so welcoming. I look forward to becoming more involved in the forum and contributing what I can!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...glad you are here with us...nice goats you have there..... :thumb: :hi5:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Aww Katie, what a wonderful introduction :hug:

We are extremely happy to have you join us,,,and look forward to hearing more of your expanding goatie family!

4. KatieT

KatieT New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks Liz - I'm just so happy that a resource like this exists, and that there are so many wonderful people that I can share my love of goats with! It gives my husband a break. :)

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You are quite welcome!

And I can relate to giving hubby a break.... mine gets a spaced out look on his face when I start rambling about udders :laugh:

6. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    What a wonderful post! I am from the Duluth area. I am anxiously awaitng my first kidding season. We have Nigerians- bundles of joy! Welcome!

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Welcome from Rainy Western Washington... I used to pass by the LaManchas at the fair too... couldn't get past those missing ears... but I know better now! I have Nigerians here
    and love them to pieces..
    It's good to have you!

8. KatieT

KatieT New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Minnesota
    I love Duluth - northeastern Minnesota in general is so beautiful. Good luck with your first kidding season - its so exciting and nerve-wracking, isn't it? I hope you'll post pictures - Nigerian kids just seem to overflow with cuteness!

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome to the group! :wave:

Sounds like you are very much addicted to these goaties....luckily we ALL understand that well! :p

10. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Welcome..~~!! You will just love this group...they are so wonderful.. We love PICS.... YEAH~~!!

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Welcome to another Minnesotan! :leap: :leap: :leap: I have Pygora / fibers goats with 5 does due to start kidding the last week in April. I promise you will never regret choosing goats! Definitely much easier to handle than cows (been there done that too)!

12. KatieT

KatieT New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thank you everyone!

I just disbudded our little girl this morning - it was my first time and I was so nervous. Our baby was so brave - she only cried a few times during the actual burning (such a sad sound!), and she's recovered from the experience much faster than I have. She's bouncing around and I still feel shaky... I just hope I did everything correctly - she had a nice copper ring after counting slowly to 5 on each side, and I only had to touch up one. I'm just worried that I didn't burn/scrape the cap enough. I'd hate for her to have to go through that just to get scurs. I'll keep watching her closely.

MissMM - I'll continue to admire cows from afar, but I'll never regret choosing goats - they've completely stolen my heart!

13. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I am dreading that! I hoping my girls hold out- we are under a blizzard warning until 7 pm tomorrow night. The wind has been bad all day. Are you guys going to miss this? I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

14. KatieT

KatieT New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Minnesota
    I heard someone today say that Duluth was expecting 15 inches of snow - yikes! March is so temperamental - one day you think that spring has finally arrived, the next you feel like its mid-winter again!

This morning we had a thunderstorm - it was just pouring rain (I do love hearing thunder after a long winter, though). It's pretty blustery right now, and we're expecting snow and sleet tonight. I might have to put on my skates to get to the barn tomorrow. :p

I hope that you and your goats stay warm and dry! Hopefully your girls will wait for a warm, sunny day. :) It might be wishful thinking, but it would sure be nice if this was the last snow storm for the season.

15. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    lost a big 12 x 24 barn door off of the goat barn tonight. 60+ mph wind gusts... 5 pregger girls in the barn. Got the staple gun and tarps ready to cordon off the indoor portions to keep the girls kinda draft free..... but the noise is horrible from the tarps being moved in the wind..... I am so entirely sick of this weather I could just puke. Or the D/H will give in and let me bring the Mommas into the house......

16. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    The wind is really bad here too!! I would say I could puke along with you but that would be hitting a little close to home....I just got done cleaning up a messy.....daughter is sick. I have two pregnant girls that might just end up going tonight just because it is the worse weather! Sorry about your barn door! I say bring them in....maybe after he goes to sleep????

17. GypsyGoats

GypsyGoats New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Elkton Minnesota
    Im from SE MN too!

I just thought I would introduce myself since we probably live close. I am looking to purchase some nigerian dwarfs myself right now and am hoping to raise a few in the future. We have 8 mini pet goats (no idea what breeds pygmy x's? in the barn right now since they are so addicting and they each have a different personality. LOL. Anyways if you ever wanted to talk goats I thought I would give you my email [email protected].

18. KatieT

KatieT New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Minnesota
    Yes, the weather is just nasty! My goat stall in the barn has an open window and only a half door, and the wind was tearing right into it. My mom and I just got in from stapling greenhouse plastic over the openings. We stapled it to the outside of the barn since Peanut will tear apart anything she can reach with her mouth! So I was standing on a stool out in the rain, with all of the water pouring off of the barn roof and down my back, trying to get the plastic to behave in the wind. I was so happy when we finished and I could come in and change into some dry clothes! I'm also happy that my girls will be relatively draft-free tonight, especially my baby!

GypsyGoats - I bet your minis are really cute! I love how personable goats are - they're so darn easy to fall in love with. :)