Hello from Slovenia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by booboo, May 27, 2010.

1. booboo

booboo New Member

May 21, 2010
    :) hello everyone, just wanted to say hi and what a great site you have here.my partner and i moved here two years ago from uk ( I am irish by the way). we have a couple of hectres and i have always wanted goats, not sure what kind yet as i started to research i realised that i knew nothing about them until i came accross this site which gave me so much information my mind went into a whirl for a while. it has now settled, still have a lot of questions. anyways thanks everyone for posting such great stuff.
    Ps is there anyone on here near this side of europe?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to TGS booboo!

There are a few members from Australia and Ireland...not sure if any are from your area though.

You are surely going to find alot of reccommendations as far as breeds of goats but from what I understand, the breeds where you are differ from the breeds here in the USA. Hope you can find what you are looking for.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome to TGS .....we are happy you are here.... :wave: :thumb:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome booboo :wave: So glad you joined us.

5. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Welcome from across the pond!

6. M&LFarm

M&LFarm New Member

May 25, 2010
    Welcome! What sort of goats are raised in Slovenia? I love learning about different parts of the world and cultures. I hope to hear more from you.

7. booboo

booboo New Member

May 21, 2010
    Hi and thanks everyone for the welcome. Still gathering all the info I can find about goats.
    M&Lfarm; Hi, Slovenia is a very beautiful and unspoilt part of the world where 75 percent is natural forest. In a lot of ways it is out of the dark ages and a lot of ways it is still behind the times. The people are very friendly and welcoming. Goat farming is only twenty years old here and there was no goats here before that. There is no fiber goats here, only dairy and meat. One lady did bring in fiber goats after the second world war and the goats seemed to have contacted some disease ( I do not have all the relavant informatiom on this yet) which caused some kind of mold to grow on them due to the humidy levels here. As our command of the Slovenian language is very limited and we are on dail up connextion that is so slow which continuely keeps disconnecting, finding any information is long, hard and tedious. Fiber goats is they way we would like to proceed, the pygora being the one as I believe so far from which we will get milk, fleece and pasture control. So any information or links regarding this side of the world would be of great help. Regards to all

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome! I would love to see picture of the countryside. I understand about slow internet. :sigh: Our computer is to blame for that. Hopefully we will get a new one for the shop soon.

Gina

9. Little Cow

Little Cow Member

May 31, 2010
    Northern Florida, USA
    I had the pleasure of a port visit to Slovenia back in 2003 when I was still in the US Navy.

Lovely country with friendly people. For those that don't know, Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia until 1986. When I was there, the exchange rate was great for us and I could even afford a boat trip to Venice, Italy (not far away). From what the locals told us, Slovenia had always had a separate identity from the Yugoslavians on the other side of the mountains. They also had a neat castle built into the side of a mountain and a Lipizzaner Stud Farm. Hope it's still there. The food was very fresh and the wine was surprisingly tasty.

Beautiful place! Thanks for reminding me of that trip!