The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Thanks for adding me. We live on 5 overgrown acres in Southeast TN. Currently we have chickens, quail, guinea hogs, 2 German Shepherds, and a cat. I've wanted goats for a long time, and we are considering adding some in spring or summer 2021 if we can find the right ones. I'd ultimately like to have dairy goats but may start off with a couple of wethers for brush control, pets, (and to gain experience with goats). Not sure if I'll have time for milking (and to find uses for all the milk) until my three and five-year-olds start school. Looking forward to browsing the site and learning lots about goats! Looks like there are many knowledgeable folks here. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
:groupwelcome:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hello everyone! Thanks for adding me. We live on 5 overgrown acres in Southeast TN. Currently we have chickens, quail, guinea hogs, 2 German Shepherds, and a cat. I've wanted goats for a long time, and we are considering adding some in spring or summer 2021 if we can find the right ones. I'd ultimately like to have dairy goats but may start off with a couple of wethers for brush control, pets, (and to gain experience with goats). Not sure if I'll have time for milking (and to find uses for all the milk) until my three and five-year-old start school. Looking forward to browsing the site and learning lots about goats! Looks like there are many knowledgeable folks here. :)
Greetings from Middle TN and and may I suggest Kiko goats them seem to be well adapted to the area,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nigerians can also produce a lot of milk for their size and are easy to handle. And wethers make great pets. I have three and they are my absolute favorite.
Nigerians are on my favorites list, for sure. And there seem to be quite a few in the area (if one can judge by ads on craigslist and local FB groups). I haven't quite gotten to the point of searching for local breeders yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 193497 here is one of my wethers that I got as a rescue. He had been attacked by a dog so he had a bad limp and was severely under weight because his owners had never given him any feed or hay. He had snacks like Oreos. But he is the most loving little guy.
What a sweetie. He is adorable!! I would love it if we were able to find one as friendly!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'd ultimately like to have dairy goats but may start off with a couple of wethers for brush control, pets, (and to gain experience with goats).
I think that's a great plan!
I started with 2 does and 2 bucks with the intention of breeding for milking. It has been a steep learning curve. I kept my first kids as wethers and still have one of them. He is my rock! He has no hormonal challenges, is super sweet and was easy to train manners.
I have Mini Nubian and Nigerian Dwarfs.
For milking my Mini Nubian is better in terms of teats and amount, but that could be all genetics.

Reactions: BarnOwl

·
Registered
163 Posts
Greetings from Middle TN and and may I suggest Kiko goats them seem to be well adapted to the area,
Yes Kiko goats do well in milder climates, they are very hardy too! Too bad they aren't fairy though. Nubians do well here though too especially with this awkward winter we've gotten in TN this year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts