Hello from southern Colorado

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by highlonesomefarm, Jul 22, 2010.

1. highlonesomefarm

highlonesomefarm New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Hello, we live in Boone, Colorado and started our little goat enterprise this past December with two Oberhasli LaMancha cross does. They are ADGA registered. We bred one to a registered LaMancha buck and she freshened in June with one perfect LaMancha doeling. We also have two "oops" from a Boer LaMancha meeting. A doe and a wether that are 5 mos old. We had our freshened doe linear appraised yesterday and she scored an 83. We bought a 3year old LaMancha doe that scored a 90 yesterday, as well as a 7 month old doeling that scored an excellent.
    We milk twice a day and make soap, lotion and cheese, and are doing pretty well with selling all of it. Here in Colorado, Queso Blanco is very popular.
    We hope to grow enough to be able to sell the cheese on a large scale by getting USDA approval, but I know that is very involved and expensive. We have 14 acres here so I believe we have plenty of room to grow. We are so fortunate to have purchased all of our LaManchas from a young breeder who is very knowledgable and helpful. He wants to see us grow. Plus he's a neighbor!
    I love this forum and all the info and anecdotes I've read, some of them make me laugh alot. :kidred:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome from PA :wave:

Sounds like you jumped into the wonderful world of goaties feet first! Glad to hear that it is turning out well for you...there is not a day that goes by that you don't learn something new about them, I've had my little herd for 10 years and had goats when I was young, they still keep me on my toes!

Glad you enjoy TGS :hug:

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    :welcome: Welcome to the group! Do you have pictures of your goaty's? :)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...Welcome...so happy to have you here..... :thumb: :wave:

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome from Alabama! Hope you like it.

Gina

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome from up North, (Colorado Springs area). Are you going to show at the Colorado state fair? I will see you if you are, we all stall at the same time.

7. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Hello from PA!

8. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Hi and Welcome to the group. I've been to Colorado once-it's so beautiful there-wish I would have had a way to just stay there ;-).

9. highlonesomefarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Hello Sweetgoats, I am going to show at the State Fair in the open livestock division. I'll probably show three does and see how we do.It will be the first time I've ever done this so it will be a big learning experience. I have seen your ads on craigslist, so I look forward to meeting you. Good luck at the fair! :coffee:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great. Do you have a farm nane or I will jst look for you. Do you have your entry in? They are due really soon. How exciting, I look forward to meeting you also.

11. highlonesomefarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Sweetgoats, Our farm name is High Lonesome Farm, my name is Laura Gochenour. We are sending our entry forms in the next day or two. I have them almost completed. We will be there for sure!!