Hello from "sunny" Florida

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Millstone Farm, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Millstone Farm

Millstone Farm New Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Chipley, Florida
    Hi all,
    My name is Wayne Webb and I'm just getting started in the meat goat business.
    We just fenced in 8 acres of our 20 acre farm and we presently have 19 does and 11 babies. Our buck is 7/8 Boer and the does are Boer, Kiko and some mixed breeds.
    One of the babies' mother has very little milk as her udder is very small and we are bottle feeding the baby.
    I would like to hang out here for awhile/
    Thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...Welcome...glad you are here Wayne.... :thumb: :wave:

How long ago did your Doe kid? Depending upon when that was... the vet.. has a shot to give her... to help drop milk....

How much grain are you feeding her and what type of hay?

Milk the doe and feed it to the kid.... even if... it is just a little.. that you are getting out...bumping and milking her ...also helps stimulate her... to drop more milk without the stimulation...she won't produce much... Even putting the kid on her... will help to stimulate.... :wink:

By the way......... we want you to hang out....anytime day or night...you are very welcome... :greengrin:

3. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Good Morning from Snowy Washington!!!!..Glad to have ya hang out for awhile!!! :leap:

4. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Welcome Wayne! This is a great place to be. Youll be hooked in no time.
    :) Shelley

5. Millstone Farm

Dec 19, 2010
    Chipley, Florida
    Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all!

The doe kidded on the 29th of November. She has always bumped the doe vigorously, and still does but when we noticed the kid getting weak, we also noticed the udder was very small and almost dry of milk. It's almost like the udder is underdeveloped. So we started giving her milk replacement and some milk from a couple of the other does. Evidently the kid is getting some milk because she still tries. We are feeding them pelletized feed and coastal bermuda hay.
    Thanks for the info about the shot. I'd never heard of that. :)

6. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Hi Wayne.

I live just east south east of Tampa.

Welcome. I hang out here a bunch and read alot. Alot to learn about these addicitive little critters.

I have kiko boer mix meat goats as well.

GL

Tom

7. Millstone Farm

Dec 19, 2010
    Chipley, Florida
    Hi Tom
    I have several relatives in Tampa.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome to the group! :wave:

Are you sure that she isn't producing enough for the kid? Did the kid act hungry? Not active.... standing hunched up?

9. Millstone Farm

Dec 19, 2010
    Chipley, Florida
    Well,
    I'm just getting started at this but, I've noticed the other kids don't go round bleating like she does. It's like, when a doe gives them some kind of 'dinner bell' signal or something. twin kids will rush her at exactly the same time and begin feeding. But this kid follows her mom around constantly, bleating and trying to feed and she just steps away from her. Sometimes she does let her feed but only briefly. The kid acts like she is hungry all the time and was not grown like the others. The kids which were born two weeks after her are much bigger. She has stood around some, all hunched up with her tail down. But since my wife gave her some medicine and began bottle feeding, she is doing much better.