The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am here hoping someone can help me figure out WHEN IN THE HECK my does will deliver! I found this site so thought I'd join and see if anyone can help!

2 years ago my hubby and I and our 5 daughters moved into the country and less than 30 days later my husband passed away, leaving me to my own devices! I have since acquired a whole farm full of animals to keep me from dwelling too much. I spontaneously bought some goats Sept of last year. The girls really wanted them.... me, not so much! I thought they looked weird and creepy. They didn't like me and they weren't all that friendly!

Over the next few months of milking them twice a day I grew to really love them. They were starting to lose milk so I rebred them in very late January to get them back in milk. Those two ladies were 1/2 Nigerian dwarf, 1/2 La mancha. Funny ears! At the same time I bought 3 ADGA and NDGA registered Nigerian Dwarf goats from OK. I really wanted smaller goats that could not jump my fence. They were about 4 months old at the time. So on July 1st my two original goats gave birth and the hormones in the air sent my little buck into full rut. I had been letting the 3 guys just run around together and never put much thought into him breeding them and me having no idea when they got pregnant! So sometime after July 1st he got the 2 Nigerian Dwarf does pregnant!

I'm going nuts! They are definitely pregnant but how far along?! If I feel their teats they have gotten a tiny bit longer and on one of them there is the udder area feels sorta squishy instead of flat along her belly now. Does that tell anyone about how far along she might be? At what point does the udder usually start to begin forming?

I know there is probably a ton of variation from one goat to another, just hoping maybe someone has enough experience to say... oh that *typically* happens about a month away or a week away or SOMETHING lol

·
14,456 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum & so sorry about your late husband.
We'd love to see pics of your goatie girls!
Pics from the behind including udder can help us help you.
Yes. Sometimes they can bag up a month before & some only a day or two.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Central Texas..I too am very sorry for your loss...

Goat gestation period is 145-150 days...How long was the buck with the girls?
Pix as Nancy suggested would help some of us here who are good at pooch pics (not me lol)
You will know they are close when babies are under belly and not carried on the side..(right side is baby side)..girly parts will get baggie and swollen, and discharge..
Udder will be tight and shiny..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Udder is just starting to be *anything* lol. It was a flat belly w/ two hangy nipples until this week. Now it is a fatty spot that you cannot see but you can feel. She doesn't like for me to touch her there either. She thinks I'm a perv!

The buck has never been removed from the does. They just roam free together on my land. The two original does, the 3 kids that were born Jul 1st, and the 3 Nigerian Dwarfs I bought. I will get you some pics tomorrow. The poor doe hates me checking her udder so much she doesn't even want to come near me anymore, not even for treats!

I tried to think, IF he got them pregnant on the first mating.... and they go into heat every 21-28 days... and he went into his first rut on July 1st when the others were born and all those hormones were in the air, then the latest they could have gone into heat was July 29th?! I guess actually that would mean they had to be ending a heat on July 1st? Anyway, then 145-150 days from July 29th would be Dec 16th to Dec 21st? But I guess that is ASSUMING that he got them on the first heat... what are the odds he didn't get them on the first heat?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw thanks Nancy D. I miss him dearly.

Thanks for trying to help everyone. I got quite a learning lesson this summer w/ my first kidding. The twins outta one doe were easy (smaller) but the singleton out of the other doe I had to pull. Thank goodness he was coming out right but just a bit large for her as a singleton. I had bred them to a very small lineage boer but decided I didn't want to take that risk again.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
It was wise to pass on the boer buck again...small breeds and thier crosses should never be bred to a standard size buck...small buck with big does is fine...Small does with big buck..not so fine ;)

First time freshers certainly can be bred the first time....but again..many take a few cycles to get bred, since the first cycle can be weak,..I would assume they were not bred the first time around since they would have kidded already...from what you discribed..sounds like they are in about 3-4 month gestation ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well not to say their first heat ever, just the first heat since HE went into rut to breed them. But I do think you might be right. I might have a month or so to go. Maybe I can stop molesting her daily now lolol

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
even my milkers do not like me to touch their udder if they are not on the table...lol Guess they have standerds lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
even my milkers do not like me to touch their udder if they are not on the table...lol Guess they have standerds lol
It figures my goat has standards and I am not included within the boundaries of those standards. lol. I cannot sleep because I have a lionhead bunny nesting and every time I just go to sleep and let them be something horrible happens. I wish she'd just listen to me and have them already so I can get some rest. I have an algebra final tomorrow and I just want to go to bed!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry it took me so long but apparently I don't know how to upload pics to photobucket and now every pic on my phone is on there.. ah well.. Will try to give direct links.

First should be Peppy, she has no udder formation.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o631/riggers30/IMG_0704_zps24f3977f.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o631/riggers30/IMG_0707_zps06f8cd7d.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o631/riggers30/IMG_0705_zps7f6f6623.jpg

Then Flower: tiny beginnings of udder.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o631/riggers30/IMG_0708_zps1de36c8c.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o631/riggers30/IMG_0709_zps2a46a4bd.jpg

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Im no pooch expert so I wont guess anything lol..they are pretty girls!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So it's been 19 days since I started this thread and still no bitties. Sure am glad someone said it would be a while because I was really lacking sleep checking her all the time. However, her udder is now big enough to fill my hand. I can cup it and not quite fit the whole thing in my hand. She still has no discharge or anything but is kinda hiding under the trailer today. Being a tad anti-social, I am hoping these are good signs. I sold one of our lamancha/boer cross whethers yesterday since he wouldn't stay out of my house. Cows are gone since I don't have time to milk them every day now that I'm in college. I think I've freed up plenty of time for baby goats! And still 15 more days til college starts back..... OH please let the bitties come before then!

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
lol..you want that udder to be nice and tight, a bit shiny..back end will be baggie and soft, kids will be carried under mom instead on on her side..Some become anti social, others become needy, what for stretching and a yawn of sorts... setting off her herself, restlessness, pawing on the ground...

Happy Kidding!

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
sounds like she is working on it...: )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts