Hello from Upstate New York!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Squires, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    I live way upstate near Lake Ontario, no where near "the city," and not far from the Canadian border (the North Coast). :wave:

I had goats in 4H long, long ago. Was milking some dairy sheep for my own use (meat, milk and cheese). Last winter I was offered a "free goat" - a registered Nubian with possible "issues." I had the time and I enjoy problem solving. I started re-learning about goats all over again - -a lot of things have changed in 30+ years. :)

Of course I had to get two more Nubian does to keep the first one company, and to practice my new goat-keeping skills on! :slapfloor:

Now I am taking an AI (artificial insemination) class soon. I am using CIDRs and a teaser buck (Nyah! Nyah! -- no, not that kind of teasing!) to get them "in the mood" and then will take them to the class.

I dreamed of raising goats and using AI to vary the genetics -- from the time I was a child. So this is a dream come true! :stars: :)

People on another list told me my goat was ugly, so no pictures for now. Handsome is as handsome does . . . we'll see how she does. :shades:

Chris

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Chris, So glad you joined us.

OK, so I have to confess. I have never heard of milking sheep. :shrug:

3. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Welcome!!

I would like to think that no one in this group would tell you that your goat was ugly!! Granted the pictures recently of the ones from the middle east made many of us exclaim. LOL

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Do your goats have wattles? At least tell us that lol

Welcome!!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

maybe in time you will feel comfortable posting a picture but thats ok I understand. I love Nubians they are a beautiful breed. I dont like any of the ones from around here in my state so I will probably ship one in if I ever do get into Nubians :D

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome from Alabama! What kind of sheep do you have?

Gina

7. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    I haven't seen an ugly goat yet. Some have made me laugh though.

8. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Welcome Chris!

Your goats are not ugly. Your Honey cannot help that her ears were shredded by a dog, but I understand your hesitation.

9. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Oh my! This is a friendly list! :)

Yes, Honey had an "altercation" with a pup. I'm not sure who won, but the vet was very pleased with her ears -- healed nicely. I think about introducing her as the 1/4 La Mancha. :shrug:

The sheep are percentage East Friesian Dairy Sheep, a type of sheep milked in Europe for really tasty cheese. The butterfat is very high -- 7-10 % and higher. Some people in upstate NY (and Wisconsin) have been blending the East Friesian Dairy Sheep with local sheep to make a hardier sheep, better adapted to the local forage and climate. I use the milk to make some cheese for myself, and to raise fat, meaty lambs. :)

Sorry, no wattles. Do Nubians have wattles? These don't.

Tonight I started making the pen next to their pen "buck proof." In the morning when there is more light, I will check it twice, and then put a buck in there to flirt with the girls and help to "induce ovulation" or something. :eek:hlala:

48 hours later the CIDR's (goat tampons with progesterones) are removed, they get a shot of PG-600 and then I have to sit and watch and write down the time they go into a raging, standing heat! :lovey: :crazy:

This weekend I go to the AI class and learn how to breed goats! :stars:
    30 days later we do a blood test to see if everybody is pregnant -- if not, either we AI again or introduce another buck :eek:hlala:
    And sometime in February or March or so, we hope to have new kids!
    :wahoo: :kidblue: :kidred: :kidblack:
    [BTW: I really like the emoticons on this list! Really nice!]

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome ....so glad you are here.... :thumb: :wave:

11. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Yay! Another upstate NYer :leap:

Sounds like you are a bit far from me, i'm near 'the city' and by city, i mean Rochester (NY city is another country lol)

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like you have a good plan going -- hope the AI works the first time for you. :thumb:

13. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Cool sheep. There is a breeder in Old Chatham NY. (I get Sheep! magazine) We have a barbie hair sheep (Moose) and a black wool sheep (Baa Baa) we also have 10 goats today. Two kinder does should go the their new home as weed eaters Thrusday. (crossed fingers) and three to their new home next week.
    I'm down sizing the herd of goats and keeping my large wethers (pets to pull carts) so I can get started with a flock of Jacob sheep. I hope to be a registered breeder in the next year or so. (no breeders here in Alabama)

My Nubian doesn't have wattles either....I don't recall seeing any with them at the dairy.... :ponder:

Gina

14. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Oh, I'm not that far from Rochester - but a bit closer to Syracuse.
    The Jacob Sheep are cool, although I don't know if they are "commercially productive."

Old Chatham Shepherd or Black Sheep Cheese (if I remember correctly) are the biggest dairy sheep flock in the state of NY. Really wonderful to have them here! You need a few bigger flocks to anchor an "industry" -- if you can call it that. The dairy sheep cheese industry. There is also a big flock in Madison County, I think, and they sell milk to Old Chatham.

I am just raising sheep for my own use -- so cull a lot and eat some. I do use some meat sires and gradually the lambs have improved regarding "meaitness" and size. Originally I wanted smaller sheep, but it is nice to be able to harvest decent lamb chops. My other favorrite is rolled boneless leg of lamb (easy, easy to cook and eat). Braised lamb shanks are very trendy these days -- simmered in water or broth with some vegetables, bay leaves and whatnot. MMmmmm. But, if I have the time to make it, the fresh Fromage Blanc is to die for!

I raise my sheep as if they were a commercial flock and feed myself. Sometimes I donate a lamb to a needy cause but I'm pretty small scale here. I also raise some poultry and eggs for myself.

Maye I should move this to sheep frenzy? I want to thank all of you for making me feel welcome here -- thank you.
    :stars:
    Chris with the three ring circus, now with Nubian trumpeters! ;)

15. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009

We have two Nubians. They are awesome!! The milk is yummy.

Welcome!

Edited to add: I have always wanted to do AI but have heard that it is difficult and expensive.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :wave:

I'm happy to hear that you enjoy our friendliness! :greengrin:
    I've never seen an ugly goat....some that have given me chuckle and some that have made me cry, but there is always an explanation as to why they look a certain way...just like people :wink:

Hope to see your girl and your sheep soon!

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    How's the Nubian with "issues" doing?

Gina

18. RollingHills

RollingHills New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Marilla NY
    Hi Chris -

Where in Upstate NY? We're located about 20 miles east of Buffalo. We just got our first goats a couple of weeks ago and are really enjoying them.

Who told you your goats were ugly??? Don't they know there are no ugly goats??

Nadine - Rolling Hills Farm
    Marilla