The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am posting this in the right area? I figured I would introduce ourselves a bit and we had a few questions. Our family has been raising dwarf goats since we moved here (CleElum) a little over ten years ago. So when we lost our old female, we decided to look for a pasture buddy for our pet goat Scooter. I guess I have been out of the loop for a long time or never looked really hard because I did not notice they had so much variety in these little goats. We Decided to get just a few pets........:ROFL:

Now my son Wyatt and my Niece Kassidy want to show. I show exhibition birds but new to the whole goat showing.
1)Are there any clubs in Washington that you think would be good for us to join?
2) What shows in Washington would be good for us to go to? Learning more about type and what to look for?

The chickens are a bit different than any other livestock in the show world. I want to make sure to help educate my kids and help them do their best. After we decided to go with showing goats, I thought it would be good to do more research. Trying to find those breeders whose lines have proven themselves. I joined the ADGA and the NDGA for more information. With chickens they have what is called the standard of perfection, which out lines every bird very descriptively. I know they do have a description in one of the handbooks you get, but it is not as descriptive as the birds. I know every animal has flaws and no animal can be perfect, but want the kids to have the best I can afford to start with.
I was lucky enough to see a website Called Poppy Patch Farm. She has an amazing place, beautiful goats, and is such a nice person. I ended up getting breeding stock for us to start our program. We purchased Poppy Patch Lil Miss Sunshine:

Her udder:

Poppy Patch Kitty Foyle:

Her udder:

Rosasharns GM Paradoxos:

Poppy Patch Babybel:

Last but not least Poppy Patch Candle in the Wind (not pictured.) How did we do. What do you all think? The kids and I are excited and look forward to all we will be learning. My Niece Kassudy is so cute. She watch Poppy Patches website and had a countdown on her calendar as to when we were picking them up :)

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
welcome from Central Texas....the goats are beautiful!!!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
My show knowledge pretty much ends at ADGA dairy goats. But I do know you want to check out your locale fair if you have one. Should be able to look em up in the phone book and get a number so you can ask if they can put you in touch with some of the 4H leaders. Past that I dont know of any mini or ND show circuits. So that is where I would start my hunt. May also look up the state fair which I believe is held in Yakima each year. Hope that helps. Oh howdy from the Tri Cities, WA :)

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome from the west side of the state, there is also the Puyallup Fair in Sept, just to throw it out there.

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Welcome from Southeast Texas! Beautiful goats you have! Welcome to TGS!

I agree with the others come to the dark side and get some boers! :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm 20 minutes east of Snoqualmie pass in Washington state. I am just awe struck with these goats and I am glad Shannon let me have the opportunity to purchase them! My friend has a nice herd of Boer goats. I had Nubians when I was a kid. I just love the mini goats. Hey maybe if they had mini Boers lol. I think the mini goats are perfect for the kids to handle when they are young. My sons favorite is his goat Daisy which is a combination of Poppy Patch and Minter Bay goat lines. she is with him everywhere he goes just like a dog. He asked me the other night if she could sleep in his bed lol.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Oh hey! :wave: Good to see you here!

Yes...very nice foundation herd started. Totally in love with LMS! Lucky duck!

To answer your questions...
I don't know of any good WA goat clubs to join.
There is an ADGA show held at CWSF every year in Yakima. Nigerians aren't usually sanctioned though...I don't know if they are this year or not.
There's also a good ADGA show in Spokane and one in Chehalis as well.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I love Little Miss Sunshine! I have been drooling over that doe for a while! :drool:
Congrats on your lovely new herd! And welcome to TGS!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello from Oakville, Wa! Thought I'd come out of lurk mode and welcome you!

I'm fairly new to owning goats, but the last 5 weeks have been fantastic. We have a black Nigerian Dwarf doe in milk, Sugarcreek Joon (4 years old), and a Mini Nubian/4th generation doeling named Fancy, from Diamond PEN Ranch. She is 8 weeks old today. We also looked at Poppy Patch as they are a very reputable breeder in our state. Your choices are beautiful as foundation stock! Absolutely gorgeous.

Right now I'm on the hunt for a Lamancha doe in milk, that can give at least 1 gallon a day, that is not anywhere near the end of her lactation. We have a large family, with 7 children ages 16 years to 16 months, so we go through quite a bit of milk a week. :)

I really enjoy this forum as they have been a wealth of information and wisdom. I look forward to hearing more from all the Washintonians out there!

Many blessings,

Erin

·
Registered
224 Posts
We have a show on July 31st in La Grande, Oregon (NE Corner) but all freeway driving. It is a small show, but it is looking like NDs will sanction. If you are interested, let me know or you can enter online here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts