hello, i am new and have a question.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by motherof5boys1girl, Aug 3, 2009.

1. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    hello, i am the very proud owner of 3 pygmy/nigerian mutts named betsy, minnie, and jack. they are the sweetest pets i have ever had and we love them dearly.
    here is the problem though...even though i called the ordinance office and the person that i spoke with told me that pygmies were ok..i am being told to get rid of them. i have had them for a year now, but a neighbor who is mad at me for yelling at his dog called the city and told them i had goats AND pigs, which i do not. after the ordinance guy told me that i cant appeal anything,as they are considered "large animals", i emailed the mayor and the editor of our local paper and the paper wants to do a story on us. is there anything i can say to get them to see my side?? i dont want to get rid of them, and i am afraid they will end up as dinner for someone.

:tears:

[​IMG]

here is a picture of jack..and he isnt much bigger now as a grown up.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh thats so sad!

Im not sure why you are not allowed to appeal it though, especially if the allegation isn't true (re:pigs)

I dont really have any advice- but for your story- make sure to play up their size and how good they are with the kids, if you have any other neighbors that dont mind the goats, maybe they can make a comment in the story :wink:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would also mention that there are bills in many states, counties, and cities that now see miniture goats as domestic pets and are allowed inside the city limits. Also, mini dairy goats can produce the milk needed for a family member who can not drink cows milk from the stores.

Do some research on how they make great companion animals, do not pose health risks with humans or other animals (specie specific - unlike cats and dogs), and how you have had them for so long.

There IS a way to appeal - you just have to get to the right person.

PS Welcome to the board!

4. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    thanks! i am glad to be here :)

i already emailed the city ordinance guy with all that info and the mayor...but i do plan on playing it up how friendly they are...they are even leash trained and go for walks almost every evening. you would think common sense would prevail but i guess not!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would fine out the true ordinances and ask for copies - you dont need them pulling a fast one on you

present the copies of the ordinances if they are in your favor to the paper lends credibility to your story.

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    A Pygmy is considered a "large animal?" :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

I bet the neighbor's dog is bigger.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome.... to the goat spot from northern ca... :wave:

here is a great example that will help alot...

http://www.pegasusvalley.net/PygmyGoatPet.html

:ROFL:

8. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    yes, i was looking for that! i am going to print it out.
    the whole thing is so stupid...i mean, the neighbors dog barks all night long, gets out and uses the bathroom in my yard...but they want to pick on an animal that they didnt even know existed until this guy told him.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That is so terrible! Sounds like something our neighbor would do. I agree with the other posts to get as much info. as you can reguarding the goats and everything. That's really not fair...especially when they're not harming anyone.

Oh...and welcome to TGS!! :wave:

10. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    thanks again! i never thought i would get this attached to them..but they are so smart! i swear they know what i am thinking sometimes.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Seattle passed an ordinance a few yrs back, people can own full size goats! I dont know the limits. Maybe two or three.
    Dont forget to mention their poop doesnt stink (skip mentioning urine hehehe) & how good it is for your plants cause you can put it right on it doesnt burn them.

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Good to see you here; I hope you find a solution to your problem. I'd hate to hear that you lost your poor little babies!

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    You've gotten good advice already... I just wanted to welcome you to TGS!

14. Ditto, welcome to the group. Gkad you found us! :clap: :wave: :stars:

15. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    so am i! i thought i was the only one obsessed with goats..
    my husband thinks i am insane because i give my boy goat a kiss on the nose every morning.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope, not nuts at all :wink: I let my very stinky boys give me kisses, hopefully your Jack has been wethered, otherwise the smell of a buck in rutt could add fuel to your neighbor's fire.

17. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    oh yes...i did my research haha!

just a trio of mutts that somehow behave better than my human kids!

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL....Amazing how such impish little goaties can be better behaved :hug: Kids are wonderful blessings, but sometimes the fur babies are easier to handle :love:

19. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl Guest

Aug 3, 2009
    oh man the newspaper is coming out in about an hour!!! any compelling statements in favor of pygmies would be much appreciated!! i am so nervous because the goat room isnt all the way finished..its clean of course but it needs a new wall put up because we knocked out the old one.

:party:

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very versatile in our changing economic situation (can me milked) as well as be wonderful pets, very docile, small and easily contained (ok thats a stretch LOL) their poo is good for the environment - can be used as fertilizer without being composted. Reducing the amount of fertilizer you need to buy to grow those beautiful flowers and veggies.

I guess thats what I would say.

Oh and watching goat kids is more entertaining then TV :thumb: