Hello I'm a "newbie" to goats and just have a few questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by goinggoaty, May 19, 2010.

1. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Well hello :wave: I just about 3 weeks ago got my first goat, Juliet a beautiful Nubian, who when I got her was in sorta shabby shape and terrified of people. Now she's getting better I trimmed her feet the best I could it'll be a bit till their right, and thankfully she is turning into a real sweety loves to be pet and brushed. Well the lady I got her from said she was bred and that I could keep her by herself until she kidded. :veryangry: Not true the poor thing was so terribly unhappy so I got on the phone found a little ND wether, Domino AKA Lap goat, to keep her company instant change in her personality. :wahoo: So now here come my qeustions, She would have been bred sometime in march due early or late August the lady said she kept her in with the buck for 2 cycles, is it to early for a "pooch" test on her? Oh yes she would be a first timer. And also she has never been vaccinated or wormed and I'm not sure what needs to be done when with her being possibly bred? The little wether Domino is between 7-8 months old and I haven't found a real solid description of caring for him so he doesn't get stones, some say no grain others say its okay so I'm sort of confused any help would be great. They are fed free choice alfalfa, have an apple brick -mineral salt lick thingy, 1 cup mix of BOSS and Goat Chow with a loose mineral mix sprinkled on top once daily, and of course water, oh and I walk them around my property and let them browse for about 30 minutes to an hour every chance I get. Is there anything else I should Know or do to have the happiest goats possible? Thanks A ton for any advice this site is like a God send for goat people which I have become cause those little stinkers can win you over real quick. Thanks

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Hello I'm a "newbie" to goats and just have a few questi

Welcome!!

Glad that you knew to get your girl a friend, she's much happier now!

As far as UC in males, I've never had an issue and my boys get the same grain and hay as my girls...what I do for all is provide a freechoice loose mineral with added Ammonium Chloride, the amount of grain ration for my goats vary too... in milk, 2 cups 2x a day, dry, 1/2 cup once a day, kids 1 cup 2 x a day, bucks 1 cup once a day. They have freechoice browse at this point and get a ration of mixed grass, timothy, clover, alfalfa hay in the morning.

If your doe settled with the breedings in March, waiting a couple weeks to try the pooch pics might help, as far as what she needs , keep her on what she's getting and about 3-4 weeks before her due date give her a CD/T booster. You'll need to increase her grain after she freshens to help her keep up with milk production.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Welcome, :wave: I am so happy to hear you have been doing some research and you are way ahead of the game then most people.

The friend was a GREAT idea. Waiting until August would not of all been fair to her.

Most people feed or should feed a loose mineral. The blocks are ok to have but they need to have the loose because if they really need mineral they will try to bite the block and that will cause a broken tooth. Plus they can not get enough by licking.

I do not feed my boys grain very often, and I do not feed them alfalfa hay only grass hay and grazing.

I do have Ammonia Chloride on hand in case I need it.

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Welcome! Sounds like you are doing good. Congrats on getting goats. They are so much fun. Aren't Nubians great? I have a 2 month old bottle brat. Gotta' love those ears!

Gina

5. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico

Wow! This is so great I am super impressed that ya'll got back to me so soon. Thanks a ton!
    Liz I appreciate your advice and I'll wait a few weeks to do the dirty deed of taking pooch pictures (my neighbors are going to think I'm nuts I already walk them on leashes now this :slapfloor: ) I notice you fed a mixed hay is straight alfalfa okay?

Sweetgoats I did have the loose minerals out for them but they just soiled the moved them and they didn't touch them, so I have been putting it on top of their grain and making sure they get some daily is that okay or not a good idea, Juliet actually licks them up now when I first did it she looked at me like 'you filthy little brat getting my grains dirty with those nasty minerals' Thanks for your advice as well is there a good place to get the ammonium chloride?

Mrs. lam I love the ears SO much I actually have a bloodhound and Juliet my Nubian thought he was a goat for the first couple days it was kinda funny. Congrats on the little one my girl is coming around she's no bottle baby yet but she's getting better and she gets a goaty grin when you scratch just the right spot. Don't you just love how they scream at you too the little ND Domino just softly calls to me but when Juliet lets loose it sounds like someone screaming I half laugh half blush thinking oh man what are my neighbors going to think. They definitely have a different sound Maaa to them thats for sure.

Thanks again for all your advice I feel much more confident talking to real people who I know own goats not just reading things from the internet hoping the person knows what their talking about. I haven't been this excited for awhile Because People keep asking me 'Why goats?' and I'm like why not? Yay!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

What type of loose mineral are you feeding? Yes they will poop in the mineral if it is ground level or even below their butts. I have my mineral in a PVC pipe feeder. They will eat the mineral when they need it. You will not see them eat it all the time. They will lick the block to kind of play AND to get some mineral.

I tell my 4Hers NOT to put the mineral in the grain, to only leave it free choice.

This is that my mineral is in.
    [​IMG]

I have them all over the barn. I have them filled with the mineral and several of them with baking soda, so they can get whatever they want whenever they want. I believe in the do barn I have 10 for mineral and 4 I believe with baking soda.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I have the same type of feeders for mine, up high enough to prevent them from soiling and I have milk crates in front of them so the babies can access them too.

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Love the pipe feeders!

And yes, Ben sure is LOUD! He can out scream my sheep Baa Baa, and that is no easy feat. :p

Gina

9. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico

Wow that is neat I'll have to make something like that, how creative. That will definitely solve that problem, and I won't have to worry about them getting enough or too much. See I read that to encourage eating of the minerals to keep it by a water source so it was in a bowl next to their waterer and I also read that the goats won't eat them if they've been out for a long time so I didn't know if having a large quantity in a feeder was okay or if the minerals would go bad. I am feeding Ranch-O-Min 1:1 Goat Mineral by Ranchway I am not sure if that's a great mix or not but the store I went to to get all my goat supplies only had that kind. I did find a store that carries Purina minerals and don't know if their better or not. Thanks Again for all your advice and help its taking alot of stress off my mind getting things straightened out and knowing what works for people who have been doing this successfully. Anika