Hello im Kimberly and have 10 goats

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kimberly caldwell, May 12, 2018.

1. I have a boer male buck and he is 3 years old. Just last night his nipples grew and are now very swollen. I was reading that male milkers can grow milking teats. His teats are so big it puts his man sacks at almost a 45 degree angle. The picture shown in the article is great and really helped. Never in my wildest thoughts did I ever expect to milk a boy goat.

Attached Files:

Raynee Jensen likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Did you check and he for sure has milk? I thought that only happened to males from extremely heavy milking lines. Since Boer goats are meat goats, I wouldn't think that would happen.

4. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Welcome to TGS, glad to have you here!

A few years ago, when I was picking up my first dairy goat, my doeling's sire was a precocious milker as well. Such a strange (and upsetting, LOL) thing to see as a newbie!

I've heard that some Boers are heavier milkers than others (and I've seen some with pretty impressive udders) so I wouldn't doubt that a Boer buck could get a precocious udder... Do you have a picture? :p

5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome, glad you are here. :)

7. HE grew these almost overnight. He is a 3 year old buck. Today i tried to milk him but he has horns and I was alone and kind of scared to touch them. He is not in pain. I got a little bit of clear liquid out of one teat. But like I said i was scared and didn't spend much time trying.
    IMG_20180512_104130.jpg

Goat_Scout likes this.
  8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Bizarre! I think I would take a rectal temperature just to make sure there is no fever indicating infection.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I'd have the vet look at him and test the fluid.

10. Thank you all good advice and I am going to try this today. There is one video with a male milker on youtube. I am still confused about this entire deal. He acts normal. The teats are quite hard.

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. a big shout out to all those who gave advice and I will keep you posted

toth boer goats and Goat_Scout like this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Being hard isn't good. :(

Goat_Scout likes this.
  13. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How is your buck with the enlarged teats?

kimberly caldwell likes this.
  14. Thank you for asking he is doing great. No fever, they haven't gotten bigger and his temperament is normal. We did squeeze them and we did get non bloody fluid. So I believe he is just a male milker. Thank you for asking. He is hard to milk with those large horns. Do you think its necessary to milk him or will he just dry up?

15. Its funny but I am surrounded by ranchers in the carson valley, mostly cow and sheep, and no body has heard of a milking male goat. I am really grateful to the goat spot.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  16. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Well that photograph really explains a lot! He is definitely not a Boer goat so that helps because his dairy background could explain that prolific milk production genetics causing his issue.

17. So what is he? The lady that sold us him told me he was a dwarf Boer?

18. He is no dwarf. He on back legs is 7' tall not counting horns

19. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    No way to say for sure, I would just refer to him as a "full size dairy cross" but if you post a few more photos of the entire goats from different sides folks on here may give you some wild guesses on his breed.

Goat_Scout likes this.