The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I live in Wyoming. Near the Colorado Border. Just recently got ourselves a baby 31/2 month old Alpine doeling. Her name is Cookie-Donut. My 4 yr. old Grand son named her and because he is learning about last names she had to have one too. About a week into having her we realized we needed another goat for her. SO we got ourselves a registered Lamancha Doe in milk about 3 yrs old. Her name is Sienna and she gives us a gallon to just under a Gallon a day. We then got 2 more goats, names Sugar and Spice. they are 4 yr old Boer X sisters, Never had babies, never tried to be bred, so we was told. They started off being used when babies as roping practice. but then they got attached to them so couldn't eat them and never breed them. Now we have them. Wanting to see if we can get them to "settle" (I think that's the term used when going to try and get them pregnant). SO that's where we are now. However I have tons of questions....lol Like is it ok to feed softened beans and lentils to them. Sienna seems to LOVE them in her food. Just soaked over night or a quick boiling and then let set for an hour or 2 softening. What kind of things can you use the Whey for when making cheese and tons more to come Im sure.

My Husband and I are trying to become as self-sufficient as possible So this is our start at it. Thank you for having us. :wahoo::lovey::dance::stars:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, another Wyoming goat person here (East of cheyenne). We're relatively new to it (three Nubian girls), and I am enjoying them immensely. Welcome.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Welcome to the Goat Spot :wave:

Sounds like you jumped right in with goats... and milk too!
I've not fed any lentil or beans so I can't advise on them but as far as uses for whey...it can be used in cooking, baking, on your garden plants, fed to chickens and pigs as well as dogs or simply on the compost pile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts