Hello - plannin' and dreamin' in TN

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by flatmountain, Aug 14, 2010.

1. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    My spouse is caretaker to a large piece of land so we are living in beautiful country! We have about 5 acres to treat as our own, and about 20 more of horse pasture that no longer has horses. I have just purchased 5 chickens and have been breeding show/field birddogs for about 10 years. I am now getting the self sufficiency itch, thus the chickens, and am hoping to get a dairy goat or two next spring. I know nothing about goats, so thought I'd jump on here early to learn more.
    So my first question is purebred or mixed "just goat" as my husband says? The lady I bought my chickens from has a stocky small girl that is 2 months along and is Boer, Sannen (sp?), pygmy mix. Unknown % but super cute and sweet. A very nice stocky but still small sized goat. The lady doesn't harvest milk but says she has milked to pull colostrum and said she had tons of milk. My hubby says I should start with this on a low key level.
    But my show dog side wants a registered goat. I REALLY want a mini-nubian.

So what are your thoughts?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome :wave:

Ask away and we will do our best to answer your questions.

As for the doe - well it depends on your future goal but I always tell people to buy the best they can afford and to look to the future instead of the here and now.

Showing the goats may not be in your immediate or ever future BUT if you want to have milk you have to breed them and if you rbeed them that means 2+ kids a year. Find what is most marketable in your area. That will make it easier to sell those unneeded kids.

For a milk goat you want one that has a well attached udder. This will allow for longer lactations with more milk for more years.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey.... :thumb:

Welcome.....glad you are here....... :wave: :thumb:

4. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the group!

It is important that you like what you see when you look out your window - if you think Mini-Nubians are the breed for you - go for it! You can buy Mini-Nubians or make your own by having Nubian does and a Nigerian buck (I could help you with the Nigerian buck lols).

I am always for going with registered stock as it brings more money when you go to sell. When people ask me what is the difference between registered and non-registered - I always respond with "Price tag". And it is true as there are some great non-registered stock out there but they are not going to bring the same price as a registered animal. Just like the dogs.

Where are you in Tennessee? I am in middle Tennessee.

5. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Let me know if you are showing or trialing your dogs at any AKC shows this fall and I will keep my eyes open for you if you are hitting any of the same shows I am going to - I am always happy to chat about goats :)

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!! Glad you've joined us!

I personally would go with exactly what you want...if you want a registered mini nubi then go for it! That's just me. I never like to settle for the second best. lol And one thing I wanted to ad. If you decide to purchase a reg. mini nubi be sure to purchase from CAE, CL free herds. I keep seeing new goat owners buying goats, testing them later, and finding out they are positive for the diseases. Just good to start out with healthy, clean goats. It can become a terrible loss in the end, both financially and emotionally.

Goat shopping is one of my favorite things to do so good luck and if you find something you'll have to let us know! ;)

7. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    We'll be at the Chattanooga show, and the Murfreesboro show for sure... after that it's a soccer/TaeKwonDo/4H forestry/Hunting season marathon around here. But if I get to be a soccer mom, I want the stickers for the car with the little stick people and I need the people, then 5 dogs, 2 cats, and eventually some goats, and it can go all the way across the bottom :laugh

THANKS everyone! I can tell this was the right place to come!

8. flatmountain

flatmountain Member

Aug 14, 2010
    KW,
    Good Point & Very true On the testing! And the local folks never seem to do much of that. I have seen some tragedies with this in the dog world for sure.
    The good thing is we have a great large and small animal "mobile" vet that come to your place near us, so that's one less hassle for adding in a goat to the family. But I do want them starting healthy.

9. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Super you already have a good vet lined up! Hardest part about vets is finding one that is knowledgable on goats - but if you have a vet that is willing to learn and work with you it helps!

Testing is very important - I hate drawing blood and after all theses years I still have the vet do it and will be getting blood drawn this fall for the testing :( The vet must think I am funny as that is the one thing I will not do is draw blood lols.

I hit those same shows :) - I came home with a nice 75th anniver. photo frame and towel from last years Chattanooga show :) It will be fun to meet up with you - hopefully some of the other people I know that show dogs that also have goats will be there too and we can have a good time chatting about goats and dogs lols.

10. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hi Flatmountain, Looks like you and I will be the newbie Tennesseans learning about goats here. From the sound of it you're ahead of me on all counts, but I'll get caught up eventually. I've ordered a few books and plan on doing my homework here as well. Best of luck to you with your new adventure!