Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DopeyOpie, Jan 4, 2009.

1. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself! I'm Megan and I have two pet goaties, Opie and Tavi.

Opie is a four year old buck, and I'm not totally sure what breed of goat he is. When we got him over three years ago, all my family wanted was a goat to eat the grass and weeds around our barns. That's about all we knew... hence us having a buck as a pet. The person we got him from probably wasn't the best place to get a goat :roll: She *thought* he was a Boer crossed with something. Looking at pictures of Boer bucks, I don't think he looks like them at all, but I'm no expert. I've been suggested by a couple people that he's either an Alpine or an Alpine with some other breed. Anyway, I've read sooo much bad about bucks (mainly as pets), but I gotta say, I love my Opie goat and I wouldn't change him :greengrin: He's got so much personality and is very opinionated - also very destructive! He does get somewhat aggressive during rut, but it's really not all that bad.

Tavi is not a year old yet. We got him during the summer as a friend for Opie. He is a wether. His mother is a Nubian/Saanen and his father is a Toggenburg/Alpine. Tavi is such a sweetheart and has just started to get more outgoing and playful. He has grown sooo much since we brought him home, it always surprises me LOL. Tavi is like a funny-looking dog and will follow me around the farm. He likes to give nose kisses too :greengrin:

Here are some pictures of my babies! Opie and Tavi standing outside their shed:
    [​IMG]

My dopey Opie showing off his horns and glaring at the camera:
    [​IMG]

And little Tavi-kins waiting for fresh hay (and for me to get rid of the hay they threw all over the place lol):
    [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to learning lots here!

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Hi! Welcome to TGS! :wave:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from Idaho!!! :wave:

Glad that you found us - and what beautiful boys you have!! But, I think you are right - NOT a boer! But gorgeous they both are!

Pull up a chair and jump in to the threads with us~~~

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Welcome! What cute goats. :)

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hello! I just love your bucks horns! :)

6. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Welcome
    Those sure are some horns!!

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome!! :wave: Feel free to jump on in the threads! Wow, your buck is very cool! He's got a neat set of horns on him!

8. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks for the welcomes everyone! Yep, I love Opie's horns :greengrin: The only bad thing is when you're leading him on a leash... you have to make sure to stand well in front of him and not beside him. He's been known to whip his head back and whack legs with those horns LOL.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
  10. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Welcometo TGS! :wave:
    I can understand having to stand back and give this boy some space between you, he does sport some big horns. :shocked:
    You have 2 very nice looking boys there. :thumbup:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome! I totally agree, Opie is definately NOT a Boer...lol !very handsome boy ...Tavi looks so innocent and sweet. Welcome again and feel free to jump right in!

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to The Goat spot. glad you found us.

Yep you have some beautiful boys, but man I would have to ask, Why did you start with buck? does he get really full of fuzzy fiber that comes out in the Spring? He almost looks like a Spanish breed.

Be very careful with those horns, (I am sure I do not have to tell you that). I had a boy that I had to sell because he got way to rough with his horns, but then again you do not have girls and that is a totally different reason they get mean.

Glad you are here, and please feel free to jump in whenever you like. :wave: :wave:

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hi :wave: Welcome to TGS! We love new folks here. Great pics of the boys. Now that's an impressive set of horns! I have some Cashmere's so I know about the "horn thing" I always wear "eye protection" when I'm working around the horned goats. I found out early on that they don't have to be trying to "horn" you to have an accident. Pretty goats!

14. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    We had no idea that bucks generally don't make good pets! The person we got him from has a small hobby farm and does field trips for school kids and said absolutely nothing about it. Either she didn't know herself, or she just wanted to make a sale. He was the sweetest thing until he matured and got more aggressive. He's not very aggressive at all this time of year and the biggest problem I have is not getting stabbed by his horns while he's following me into their shed with the grain buckets. During summer/fall he can be a challenge, but treats are a wonderful incentive to be nice - or at least decent :greengrin: He really is a sweety when he wants to be.

Oh and nope, he doesn't have the fuzzy fiber!

15. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome from AL :wave:

BEAUTIFUL goats!!!! :thumb:

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome...DopeyOpie..... :wave: :) Glad you are here.... :greengrin:

17. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Welcome from PA :stars:

18. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Are you ever going to us him to breed? If not, you can still have him "wethered". It would probably require general anesthesia, but, it would be better for him, has to be frustrating to have the "urge" and not be able to do anything about it! :thumbup:

19. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    Nope, we don't plan on using him to breed.

We've actually considered having him wethered, but I worry about the anesthesia. Do goats usually tolerate it well? I've read that bucks also have a shorter lifespan because of the stress on their body going through rut.

20. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I read that too...I've seen websites that put the dates on their bucks...seems like 8-10 years is common. We had several kids wethered by the Vet, they went to sleep and woke up just fine. I also had a doe go under for a c-section this year...she came thru just fine :hi5: also, and I was worried about her. Had a mini horse colt "gelded" last summer, that was a little scary but he too came through alright. You should check with your vet, of course, but I'd do it if he were mine.