Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Goatflakes, May 26, 2009.

1. Goatflakes

Goatflakes New Member

May 26, 2009
    NY
    Hi, I'm new to the goat world, but not new to farming.
    Growing up my dad had a herd of sheep, a flock of chickens, grew and harvested hay, and had bee hives, as different times during my childhood.
    It was a lot of fun, but now I've been setting up my own little farm, currently I have veggies planted, chicks on the way, and of course goats in the near future. Before I commit though, I figured the best thing to do would be do my research, find a place with experienced goat people, and learn everything I can, to give the lot of them the best life I can right off the bat.
    This place seems like the absolute best place to start. :wave:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Awesome! Glad to have you here! :leap:

Welcome and do please ask as many questions as you like :greengrin:

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    :wave: Your very smart to do your research before you get your goats :thumb: Welcome! :stars:

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome! :wave: TSG is certainly a very good place to start! :greengrin:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!!!

Ask all you want and it is AWESOME that you want to do the research needed to keep goaties happy and healthy before you get them!!!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Goatflakes.....welcome.... :wave: You have come... to the right place... to learn about goats......we are very happy to teach you......Ask anything you want to.......we will be so glad to help.... :wink: :) :sun:

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :stars: :wave: welcome.

9. Goatflakes

Goatflakes New Member

May 26, 2009
    NY
    Thanks all. :)
    This place sure seems friendly, I hope the number of questions I have doesn't drive anyone batty.
    But yeah, there's a lot I need to learn, even if I have read the basics.
    I also don't want to let my knowledge of sheep leak too much into my caring of goats. There may be similarities but there are differences, like copper if I understand correct, while it's toxic to sheep it's very important for goat health. That surprised me a little, but I was glad to find out. I still have a lot to learn.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You'll find quite a few members here that have sheep and goats...and any one of them willing to help out with managing both at the same time :wink:

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Sorry for the late welcome but i didnt see this thread.

Welcome to TGS! Glad you decided to join us!

12. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Welcome!! Glad to have you with us. :) :wave:

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Welcome! I'm one of the ones that has both goats and sheep. :wink: Have fun learning! lol

14. FourSnyders

FourSnyders New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Welcome! So glad you are joining us here!

15. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Welcome Goatflakes!!!! Everyone here has been super nice, you have found the right place!!!!!

Jennah

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Goatflakes :wave: . You will be very happy here. I give you tons of credit for doing your research first. It is good to learn as much as possible before.

Now you will see here we are NOT vets and we all give out opinions on what works for US, so you will see different people saying different things, not that any of it is wrong, it is just we all live in different places and different things work for different areas.

I think I missed it but where are you from? Do you know what kind of goats you are looking for.

Dairy, Fiber, Market, or pets.

17. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    :wave: Welcome, enjoy, and have fun!

18. Goatflakes

Goatflakes New Member

May 26, 2009
    NY
    Thanks again for the friendly greeting, all. :D
    I don't currently have any sheep, they were my dad's, but I did a lot to help care for them. I miss them, someday I'll have my own, and I'll have some questions about that. :)

I suppose I did leave few things out. I live on Long Island, NY, way out on the eastern tip of it.

I was looking at Nigerian Dwarf goats for dairy, though they probably end up being pets too, I only have a limited amount of land at the moment, and they seemed like the best choice.

I know you guys aren't vets, but there is still a lot I can learn. A little bit of farm know-how can do more to help prevent an issue then a vet. They're good for giving shots but probably not too familiar with what kind of fencing keeps a goat in, though I'm sure there are exceptions. :)