Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lori Madden, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Lori Madden

Lori Madden New Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Berkley, MA
    New to goat parenting a Nigerian Dwarf doe and a Nubian wether. Any goat advice about nutrition or just anything they would love as treats would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

Trollmor and ksalvagno like this.
  2. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    :hi: Cute goats! I like their colors. My goats love Goldfish, pea pods and licorice.

Lori Madden likes this.

3. Lori Madden

Lori Madden New Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Berkley, MA
    Well...I have Goldfish. I'll try them later! Thanks!

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  6. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Hi, welcome to the group. Nice goats; like the expression on the face of the Nubian. Oyster crackers (the little octagon shaped ones), whole in the shell peanuts (big favorite), raisins (for their sweet tooth) and the most favorite, ultimate treat, Oak Tree leafy branches.

7. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Hello. Welcome to the forum!:cowboy:
    Baby carrots, cabbage and just about any dry cereal.

8. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    :hello:Welcome to TGS they are very pretty goats and it looks like they are leash trained. :)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice.

Welcome, glad you are here. :)

10. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Hi, and welcome! Goats are naturally bush eaters, and a flock of wild goats walks gladly 5-10 kilometers every day to find food. Their natural home is in mountains, so climbing and jumping is natural for them.

If you can, do take them on walks, and feed them as much as you can with non-toxic twigs with leaves. There is a list in another thread, but I do not find it. Poplar, pine, maple, apple twigs, whenever you can get it for them. You will prevent many problems if you give them good roughage, like hay and twigs, and spare the more energy compact treats like crackers for special occasions.

If you like to spend time with them, do try to teach them some nice tricks for treats. They will want the treat every time they do the trick, but you will be amazed at the number of different things they are able to learn. Ask @Damfino and the others in here, who actually do train their goats! A nice trick to begin with is to stand on hind legs to reach a nice twig with leaves, and eat it up there.

I am convinced that you have a nice sleeping place for them, a nice feeder above the ground, and a good fresh water supply. Next they also need salt and minerals, to eat when they feel like it. Only two non-producing goats will eat very little, so I suggest you buy from someone who has many animals, who buys different kinds of salt and minerals.

Very nice to see you walking with them! :)

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    PS I see now that you have already a horse. Then you know how to train a goat! ;)

toth boer goats likes this.