Help.. 1 month old kid down

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Stacie1205, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    He is one month today. Noticed he was down on his knees a few hours ago so I gave him vit. E and Sel. gel with copper on it. Went back out and now he is kicking front legs and throwing head back over is back and crying. Is this floppy kid? If not what and what do I give?

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would give Thiamine or B complex now..could be polio....FKS is a possibility...Is he bottle or Dam raised?

3. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    I gave him 1cc B complex IM to try and do SOMETHING. but should I go out and give him more? 1 month old boer, probably around 12-15 lbs. Just guessing.

4. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    did it help him at all? How much thiamine is in your b complex? How does his tummy feel..sloshy or firm??

5. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Sloshy if anything. 100mg of thiamine

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    ok...sloshy could mean undigested milk..do you have cd antitoxin or Milk of Magnesia?...if it FKS the MOM will help or a bit of Baking soda...I would start with 1/2-1 teaspoon of BS in enough water to drench....Whats his temp?

100 MG thiamine is perfect...1 cc is plenty...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  7. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Dam raised. And no, it didn't help. He does seem to be star gazing or has that I'm almost gone look in his eyes. I would be afraid he couldn't swallow at this point. His legs from the knee down seem really cold so he is on a piggy blanket but I think he is just too far gone. All of this seemed to happen in just a few hours from noticing him on his knees, but still going, to pretty much barely alive. Unfortuneately, I had to go to work so someone is supposed to check on him for me in a bit to see if he is alive. But I put him next to the wall with something to hold him on his belly so he wouldn't go over on his side, which is what he is doing now, and put him on the warmer blanket with hay around him. Not sure if there is anything else I can do for him, especially since I had to leave him. He was my favorite baby this year too. All my does have had twins and pretty much all of them have lost 1 at this point. None were under the same circumstances either so I just don't know what is going on?

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Im very sorry, I know it has to be hard....can they give Baking soda ..in enough water to drench...banamine can help reduce any brain swelling due to polio...

9. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

C&D anti toxin he's showing signs of enterotoxemia, it's quick if that's what it is.

10. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    My daughter is trying to take care of him so she will try. My Banamine is a bit outdated but hopefully it will help.

11. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Banamine never changes, my vet told me it never really expires.

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    if you dont have cd antitoxin...Milk of magnesia can help....it will flush any toxins out and help with FKS if he is struggling with that...so a win either way...

M.O.M dose is approx. 2 cc per 9#

Sending good thoughts your way!!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice.

Prayers sent.