The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old buck, Billie, was accidentally kicked in the temple by my 2 year old colt horse... It happened so fast that I had a hard time figuring out just where exactly he had gotten hit, but I am sure that it was near his right eye...
After the hit, he fell and struggled to get up, letting out a couple baa's; I helped him up, and held him, and spoke to him while petting him, trying my best to reassure and calm him.. He looked okay when I let go of him, he shook his fur and walked over to get some water. I asked my husband to get a wet rag with a couple ice cubes so that I could wipe the area where he was struck and try to prevent swelling, treating the trauma like you would do for a human.. Then I got rid of the ice and just dabbed around his eye. I noticed that his pupil was dilated and there was some fluid leaking from the eye (it looks like the same liquid that you get when you itch your eyes too much from allergies)... There were no vets available at the time of this accident so I don't know what else I can do... I've been just checking on him every hour, giving him lots of nurturing love and wiping the fluid that was leaking from his eye. The corner of his eye looks swollen, but he seems to still see okay..

I'm a new owner of a goat, so forgive me for rambling. I just want him to be okay..

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I would start with banamine to help with any swelling. Sounds like he may have cut his eye? If you don't have banamine, use asprin, then call the vet in the morning, as soon as they open. Make sure he's drinking lots of water.
I don't remember the dosage for banamine or asprin, you'll have to google that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying to my thread :)
It doesn't look to be a wound, it just looks pink and puffy.. I know it couldn't be pink eye because it wasn't like that before the kick.. What type of asprin do you suggest would be okay for him? Is there any particular one that would be better? I'm nervous that it might mess him up (make him sickly) because I had just given him some de-worming pellets literally a couple of minutes before getting hit... Does something like that happen? I have left a couple of messages for my vet, but will call again for sure..

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Could you post any pics? I am pretty sure any asprin is OK, but I have luckily never had a reason to use it so I'm not sure!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope this picture works.. his eye looks much more swollen, and as luck would have it... I have no asprin. He was eating when I went to check on him again, and was still able to see what I was doing

Attachments

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Aww, poor little guy, his eye is very irritated! It doesn't look to be too damaged, then again, I'm looking at a picture over the internet. :laugh:

I'd just wait it out till the vet see him either at the office or at your house. An x-ray might be needed to tell if anything is broken or not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really know what to do about the irritation in his eye besides just putting the wet rag on it.. I've been just checking on him and wiping his eye and cheek. He is very responsive and alert, but still shaken from the event.. My fingers are crossed that the swelling will go down by tomorrow... Thank you so much for your advice and for giving my post your attention. I am very grateful :)

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
No problem. I know how scary in can be when something is wrong with your goats!

In addition to cleaning it with the rag, I would gently dry the area off too, I think it would drive me nuts to have wet hair on my face I can't dry.

Defiantly try to get in with the vet in the AM. Even if/she can't do an x-ray, you'll get some banamine and that will help with pain and swelling. Goats are very good at hiding injuries. Are there any on call vets around? If so I would have one called out asap.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Putting an ice pack on will help in the mean time.. Do you think he got kicked very hard?

·
Super Moderator
31,631 Posts
Good job on getting ice on that quickly..his eye doesnt look to bad considering being kicked..the concern I would have is internal...keep a close watch on his gate...is he walking normal, no sway or stumbleing..eating drinking pooping peeing all normal?
are both his pupil the same size? Goats are pretty hard headed..I would keep a close eye on him, make sure nothing changes...Call the vet and alert him to whats going on in case he does need to go in...keep ice ont he eye and as scottyhorse said dry his face..the flies will pester him bad..complicating things...neospordin can be used to protect the eye from infection and flies as well...
two adult aspirin would be the dose..but banamine would be better to help with swelling...its vet prescribed..1 cc per 100#

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scottyhorse, I want to say that he wasn't hit very hard, but it was enough to stun him... I think my colt's hoof might've grazed his eye but mostly hit the spot between his horn and upper eye, but I'm not sure.. This morning the swelling in his eye (that pink bit from the picture) had gone down but it's glossy and the area around his eye is swollen. I managed to get him to walk around more and browse our foliage, so I'm relieved that he hasnt lost his urge to eat.. I am trying to see if my vet will squeeze us in for a check up.. fingers crossed!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be on the lookout for these ointments for sure; our farming supplies here in Hawaii are not that grand, but I'm sure there has to be some of those ointments.. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happybleats, he is walking around fine and is pooping and peeing normal; his eye looks swollen (like a humans eye when it's been punched hard). Is the neospirdin that you mentioned the kind that you use for human wounds? Or is there an animal version?

Thankfully, he is more active this morning, walking around and browsing on our foliage. I sat with him this morning cleaning the area around his eye with a wet towel.. Relieved that he's a little more active.

I'm going to get some ointments for him and some aspirin if our vet won't see us today. Thank you so much for your advice and for taking the time to read my thread, I really am happy to get some awesome feedback!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
That's good to hear about him... :) I would still ice it though.

·
Super Moderator
31,631 Posts
yes..neopordin is a triple antibiotic cream you can get at any drug store..generic would be fine too...sounds like he is doing abit better today..keep up with the ice and see he is doing all the normal things..sounds likehe iwll be fine..but do keep watch..: )

·
Registered
ADGA Nigerian Dwarf Goats
292 Posts
My whether got stepped on by my gelding recently. He was limping for about a half an hour, seemed fine, then started limping a day later. The vet had told me to give him 2000 mg of buffered aspirin 2X per day. He is a ND, so I was cautious and only gave him 1000 mg. It worked quite well. He is also a little piggy so he actually took the aspirin from my hand, chewed and swallowed it, than took the next. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Happybleats, I can just put the neospirdin onto his eye? Or around it..? I've been just cleaning the outer area of his eye with a wet paper towel and baby wipes. Trying to keep flies from bugging him. His eye is swollen, and it looks like its going through a healing process; if it's okay to put some of that neospirdin by the irritated part of his eye than I wanna get right to it.. Thank you :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tapsmom, I hope all is well with your whether! I hope my little Billie will be just as eager as your whether was when it comes time to give him the aspirin :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts