Help. 6 yr old BoerX not coming back into heat

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MoonshineAcres-Boers, Dec 6, 2012.

1. MoonshineAcres-Boers

MoonshineAcres-Boers Boer Goat Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2012
    We have a 6 year old Boer Kiko cross doe who just kidded back on April 4th. All her kids but one are gone and she is not nursing anymore. We want to breed the doe, Diamond, again but she hasn't come back into heat from what we can tell (Last year she was flagging and hanging around buck). She is a rather healthy doe, a little on the skinny side but she gets a good ammount food (16% Buck and Doe ADM pelleted feed with a mix of 14% Sheep grain). I really want to breed to her again but she just is not showing any signs, the problem with leaving her in with the buck for a month is we have other does in with him currently and they would probably beat her up because she is timid. All of our other nine does are bred and pregnant, but she is not coming into heat?
    Should we give a doce of Lutilace to help her induce a heat cycle?
    Should we go ahead and put her in the the buck and just hope for the best?
    What are your suggestions?
    :whatgoat:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

First, I would get her weight up and make sure she is healthy. Have a fecal run and make sure she doesn't have parasites. To me there might be a reason why she isn't coming into heat and I would want to make sure she is very good and healthy.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Keren, but yet, sometimes you don't see the act of being bred. She may not be showing signs, because she might already be preggo. I am guessing here though.;)

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree with the weight, however I don't think that would be the cause of her not coming in heat, unless she has worm issues. JMO.

Has she been with the buck at all? If so then Pam is right, maybe she's already bred.

If she cant' get 'around' the buck, then maybe she's having a quiet heat and not showing any signs. If she's timid she may not behave like others.
    Our herd queen will act 'bucky' when she's in heat towards the other girls. The adult does we have are QUIET, and won't flag unless the buck is with them. The young does go over to the fence and flag like crazy, but are quiet otherwise, we have one that will mount the others, and flag them, but that is one in 7 does..
    Maybe try putting them together and see what happens?
    How long has the other doe been in with the buck? Is she one you can spot a heat cycle on? If so maybe take her out and put the timid doe in so she can connect with the buck and hopefully he won't scare her too much?

If our buck is out and with our herd queen, they are pretty bossy towards the others and sometimes mean. But get the buck away from her, and put him with any of the other does and he's pretty good, there's just one young doe he doesn't particularly care for unless she's in heat lol

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, put the two together by themselves and see if things are different.

6. MoonshineAcres-Boers

Dec 3, 2012
    No, she has not been in with the buck. The pens are right next to each each other, sharing a fence but I think we'll look for signs of worms and then just go ahead and put her in with buck.
    The only problem is the tw does in with our buck are visitors paying to stay here to get bred. They are both a lot bigger than the 6yr old because she was stunted as a baby because she was bottle fed. But we might just have to keep themn tame together for a bit.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh boy, that is a hard decision to make, the Doe's ,that are being serviced, may beat her up badly. Not a good idea. How long are those Does staying? Can you wait, til they leave?

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree with Pam, IMO I would wait if it were my goat. I wouldn't want her getting beat up.
    Since you have someone paying to have does with your buck, you should just honor the agreement with them, then when those does leave I'd put her in with the buck and give her plenty of time.

9. MoonshineAcres-Boers

Dec 3, 2012
    All the outside does have been bred, they should be leaving soon! We'll get her in there afterward.
    We've checked her for worms and she check out clear.
    Thank you everyone!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome, good luck ")