The Goat Spot Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A neighbor of ours asked us to take care of his animals while the family went out of town for a week. They have 2 dogs, 2 bunnies, 5 cats and a bunch of goats and cows. We were told we would not need to do anything with livestock. Sooooo we went tonight to feed the animals and give an insulllin shot to one cat. We eneded up with more than we bargained for. I heard a noise under some farm equipment and walked over to find twin baby goats only maybe a day old if that. They are weak and very tiny. No other goats in sight and it was nearly dark. We looked for goats and let the kids call and nothing. The property is 160 acres so who knows where the herd is. We had no choice but to scoop up the babies and take them home. We found milk replacer and fed them a bit then put them in a crate on the porch to rest. I read we need to feed them every 4 hours so that is the plan. I have to work in the morning so my 17yr old daughter will have her first taste of being a mommy. I hope they survive. We are not sure what else to do for them. We called the owners and no response. Any advice? Oh they are twin boer girls in case it matters. We have never had goats before so this is totally new to us.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Oh... they need colostrum. No chance you can find the mother? She might take them if they were locked up with her and she wasn't so worried about following the herd. But even if she doesn't she needs milked out to get the colostrum to feed to the twins. Next best is to send out a search for frozen colostrum. Cow colostrum would be better than nothing if there is a dairy farm around ask them. Feed store have colostrum substitutes that would be better than nothing if all else fails.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
WOW..great rescue job!!!
I would fed the whole cows milk instead of replacer...its easier to digest..but if you need to use replacer..follow instructionon mixing very carefully....weight each baby and multiply that by 16 to get their weight in OZ then multiply that by 10% to se how much milk they need a day...divide that in four feedings...keep a watch on their tummies to be sure they are not sunken in there for getting enough and also not pooching out too much meaning too much milk...
keep their bums clean and see that everyone is pooping ...depending on how old you will see anything from black sticky first baby poop to yellow poop...it will be sicky..not berries just yet...
Most important is keeping them warm and dry...

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
are the belly buttons cords dry and withered looking or wet??..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
baby goats

We can't even find the herd of goats. They are about 100 acreas on the back property and it got dark. We thought about leaving them in hopes the mother would come back but they were so very weak and had sunken in tummies we were afraid they would starve to death by morning and there is also a storm due in tonight. I have no idea if they ever nursed or if Mom left them there and ran off with the herd. The cords are dry and hanging down so I am guessing at least 12 to 24 hours old. They are the cutest sweetest things. We call them Monica and Rachel. I read about b-12 or some kind of shot they should have? Is it too late for that?

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
At this point I would just be sure they are warm and fed...they do grow on your heart quick!!..Im sure you did the right thing...tomorrow bring them back out and see if mom is looking for them..if you do find her and she takes them back..pen them together so mom cant leave them..she may be a first time fresher ..sometimes they have zero sense for a while lol...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
baby goats

They have no barn and no shelter for the goats. No pens. Just 160 acreas of open pasture and woods. No way to pen a goat with her kids. We are going to go look for Mom again today and hope for the best.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
How are the babies today : ) I was going to say if the belly buttons are dry then the time for colostrum has most likley past...I would continue the the milk...you can add a bit of mineral oil if they become a bit constipated...:D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is it just me, or is anyone else angered by owners like this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
babies

Well, we went to the property and finally found the herd in a large building/shed where it appears they toss some dead chicken bodies and keep misc. junk (commercial chicken keepers) We put the babies down who ran to the herd looking for Mom. They did not recognize who Mom was and went to all the goats trying to find a mommy and nurse. All the goats rejected their efforts. There is another mommy (what looks like an experienced senior Mom) who has triplets about the same age. She is with and caring for her babies but would not take these two on. They finally just laid down in the grass and cried and no Mom came to them. We can see who we believe the Mommy is and she looks young and seems only mildly interested but runs from the babies if they get near her. We can't catch Mom she is a bit wild and on over 100 acres to run from us. Another storm came in so we snatched up the babies and brought them back home. We didn't know what else to do. Here we can keep them safe, dry and fed. Except.... We finally just heard from the owners who insist we take them back and just leave them on the property to fend for themselves. They believe another goat will take over and feed the babies. We did not see that happening at all and really worry about these babies. I hate being in this kind of pickle. :confused: I would be willing to buy these goats just to keep them safe. How do I ask this without offending the owners? They are not my animals and I am not a goat person but love animals and take care of them like family. I know that is not how everyone does it and I have to accept this and honor the owners wises. I called another person I get hay from who also keeps goats. He has like 300 goats so I figured he would know what to do. He does not seem to think another goat will take them on. What do you all think? Do other nursing goats take on orphaned babies? What would you all do?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
At this point I would keep hand feeding them and when the owners get home I would offer to purchase them. I wouldnt just put them in the field to die (as that will be what happens).

·
141 Posts
Ok, I know this can get very ugly and fast so let's just keep the immediate care of the twin boer does in mind. I'm guessing they are not expensive well kept stock. If you wish to keep them you may be able to tread lightly with the owners. Claim that your children have fallen in love with them (I don't remember if you have children or not..). Or have hubby call and say that you have fallen for them. Make a todo that they would make a great surprise/present/project or something for your family. I would even fudge a little and say that you tried MULTIPLE attempts to get the mom to take them and she refused. Just don't put the owners down no matter how you or any of us feel. That won't help the present situation. Good luck!!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree with Stacey.. The chances of another doe taking them on is slim to none..

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.