The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Palmer Farms P.A.L.S.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
My husband and I run a small Pet and Livestock Sanctuary... We adopted 2, 9 month old, wethered goats from the humane society a year ago; 1 toggenburg and 1 alpine. They have always been "rude" - No concern for personal space, jumping on us and our guests, throwing their weight around when they dont want to do what we ask, getting into everything, rearing up and butting. NOTHING we have tried has helped with their behavior, no physical discipline seem to phase them.

We have always just dealt with the bad behavior but recently our toggenburg has gotten REALLY mean... he has started cornering the dogs, cow, other goat and even the horses and stabbing them with his horns! I actually had to shock him with the cattle prod the other day because I couldnt get him off our calf. I felt HORRIBLE afterwards because I could tell it really zapped him. I dont want to have to do that again; but I cannot have him injuring the other animals at the sanctuary. Does anyone have training tips? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards,
S Palmer

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
961 Posts
They sound horribly disciplined.
We give their ears sharp tugs and a firm NO. when they do something wrong. That may help, but considering how bad you are describing it, there is a bigger chance it may not. Good luck, I have nothing else to really add. I hope someone else logs on and helps you.
Welcome to TGS, and again, lots of luck to you!

·
Ashley
54 Posts
This is an interesting thread, sorry I have nothing to add. I have a Nubian doe that is starting to become very aggressive towards the other goats. She's super friendly with people but will bite and ram the goats :( looking forward to what people suggest.
Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
59,929 Posts
Honestly when your safety is at risk, they need to go. That behavior is very hard to break. I would not sell or give them to someone else since it is bad to pass on problems like that. My suggestion would be to put them in the freezer. Donate the meat to a food bank. I understand wanting to do what you can but human safety is the most important. Plus can you afford the vet bills if he harms the other animals?

For the doe being mean to the others, put her in a stall by herself for a week or so and then put her back with the others. Sometimes they just need a solitary attitude adjustment.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I agree with Carmen and Karen - ship him or sell him for meat. I would not sell him to another person without full disclosure of his behaviour, though. That is simply passing on the problem to someone else and I do not think that is either right or fair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Male goats are agressive alpha males by nature. It's normal for them to challenge each other or whoever they see as a threat to their dominance of the herd. When I kept a herd of milking goats we would alway try and keep just one young stud male around. My experience was that around the 1 year mark the males would start to lose their natural fear of you and feel like it was time to challenge your dominance of the herd as they saw it. Typically at that age they are still very manageable. Simply grabbing them by the beard gives you back control. I would keep a bucket of water close by and give their face a good wetting if they got uppity. The shock of that was typically enough to send them packing without being too mean to them :) Once they reached the second season with the females it was time to let them go. I found it simply was not worth the risk of having them around at that point. No matter what strategy you adopt they will strike when you least expect it. I've been knocked flat from behind and had a couple of minor injuries as a result. Thankfully nothing serious.

If you do keep this male goat I suggest segregating him and the female from your other animals by some physical boundary. Mixing with the other animals will always lead to him making challenges. Hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts