Help Anemic Buck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sweetgoats, Jun 5, 2009.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, here is what is going on.

Ok most of you all know I do not deworm my goats just because the calender says so. I do a fecal on about 70% of them and see what it says. I do do my own and if I mam not sure of that results I take a sample to the vet.

Well, I was doing the CDT on everyone a while ago, and as I was doing that to my bucks, I was also combing their fiber. I did a the whole thing, hoof trimming and checking everyone over and looking at eyes. Well Mickey's eyes were as pale as a piece of paper. OK, I waited until he finally gave me some pellets to do a fecal on. I did not really see anything but because of his eyes I went ahead and did the goat Safeguard that is made for the goats, (He is 5 years old and has only been dewormed once before because we do not have a worm problem). Ok, so I go back out a while later and look at his eyes again and they are still as white as paper. :GAAH: So again I wait for him to drop some pellets. (I swear when they know we need them they do not go at all). Anyway I finally got some and did a fecal on him. I see some barber pole worm eggs. OK I go and use Cydectin. I gave him plenty. I do not know his weight because well he is a little to heave to pick up, I just guessed 275-300 pounds. :?

Well, I went last night to check him again. His Eye lids are PAPER white STILL :GAAH: So I went and got several scrapings of his skin to check for lice or some external parasite. NOPE nothing at all. So I went and got the red Cell. I only gave him about 5cc, because I do not know how much to give him. It says horses that are not in training to only give 1 oz.
    Well this morning I waited for him to give me some pellets again. This time they were in a few piles kind of clumped together, but not bad. It was like a few pieces were stuck together. Anyway I took it to the vet, and they said he was totally clean of anything. :shrug: WHAT????? I really wanted to have them tell me something.
    So now they want me to bring him in to have blood work done to see what the problem is. I asked if I pulled the blood would they just send it in? NOPE they want the office visit money.

SO all you experts out there, can you please help ME????? :thankU: :thankU: :thankU:

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    what about a B complex shot and find a way to get a bit of iron in him, raisins have a good iron count.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well if he was wormy and the fecal confirmed it, it may take a bit for him to come out of his anemia.

In the mean time, if you can get to a health food store and get some wheat grass or barley grass and make a tea out of it and mix it with molasses and give it to him, that will help with his anemia.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what is his normla color? is he normaly a bit pale?

I use the pig iron 1/2cc for 5 days on a very anemic goat (pygmy).

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, I will look into that. So I am assuming it is high in Iron. Can I put it in a bucket for him to drink? Or will he not drink it?

Stacey, WELCOME BACK, his color was always a pink, not a dark pink like some of my other goats, but it was never this white.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry you have this issue going on with your boy.
    I am baffled as well.....clear fecal and anemia don't add up.

I had a fecal run a few weeks ago and then I have a doe come up with white lids....same boat.
    I know mine are copper deficient and I did read that some deficiencies will cause anemia....since your boy had the clear fecal, is there anything you feel he may be lacking mineral wise that may attribute to the anemia?

Thanks Stacey for the post on the "pig" iron...I was unsure wether it could be used so I made up a bucket of super strenth mollasses water to get some iron into my doe.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Liz, I did not think of the straight Molasses water for him. I will do that.

I also give my goats Sea Kelp. It is HIGH in Iron also. I noticed it was gone from the feeder so I filled the mineral feeder again and the next day it was empty again. So maybe he is lacking the Iron and he will get more from the Sea Kelp.

I have the Red Cell already, so does anyone know how much is safe to give him? If I remember right you can hurt them if you OD them on Iron.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I just found something in a new book I have.

It says

Cooper is necessary for the absorption and utilization of iron, it helps oxidize Vitamin C and it works in conjunction with Vit C to form elastin, and chief component of Muscle. A copper deficiency prevents the bone marrow cells from reaching maturity.

Copper plays a roll in iron absorption and mobilization.
    This was from the Book Goat Health Care from Cheryl K. Smith

So it is saying I guess that I am low in Cooper. I hope that the Sea Kelp that they are eating will really help. I did not realize they were out. :GAAH: :hammer:

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    ok so why no give him a copper bolus? and throw out some loose mineral?

11. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    You all please don't laugh at me for posting this, but it works! Give him a shot of Geritol, I don't know, about 10 cc orally for a few days to a week, and see how he does. That and some vitamin E & Selenium gel caps squirted into his mouth once a day also. Just the ones you can get in the vitamin section at wallyworld or a pharmacy. See if that may help, Fred V.

Keep doing the fecals to check his worm load.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Fred I would not laugh at all. I do know of a lot of people that do that,, but the red Cell is really the same thing and I have that already.

I will do the Cooper boluses this weekend now that I read that in the book and they have free choice Sweet Lix mineral also along with the Sea Kelp.

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    And by "Sea Kelp" do you mean like sea weed? I have never heard of it so I am curious.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do mean Sea weed. It is full of all the vitamins and minerals that they need. I filled the feeder yesterday full of Sea Kelp. Again it was gone. SO tonight I filled them again and then I sat out with them and feed it to them out of buckets. Between the three big boys they ate about 2/3 of a coffee can of Sea Kelp. I bet that is what they were needing.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Lori ....I will pray ...that your buck gets better........ :pray:

there's sure.. alot of great advice given here.........very informative........ :thumbup: