Help! Any dog trainers available?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by mistyblue, May 28, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have a 2yr old mix breed (possibly a black mouth cur) that I got from my mother. She had him with her other dog, never had a problem with him except housebreaking and she would leave him in a kennel when gone.

The problem I have with him is he is starting to get aggressive with strangers he does not know. He try to go after the neighbors over the fence, he has bitten (but not broken the skin) my sister twice, and tried to lunged at the neighbors little girl when she came over to play with my 4yr old.

He has also started acting like we beat him. We have never laid a hand on him even when he peed on the carpet. But he just act abused, he is very very fearful acting.

I do not know what to do for him. I want him to be a happy dog, my daughter loves him but if he continues to bite people I will not be able to keep him. Also, I do not want him to go through life fearfull of everybody. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Sounds like he's afraid of the new surroundings. You might try getting a choke collar (yes the ones with the prongs, I swear it won't hurt him if you use it right) and whenever he tries to lunge at someone to just quickly tug it as in tug and imediately release it, it acts like a bite from another dog, it helps to assert your dominance and tell him that you don't want him to do that. Or you could try getting a spray bottle fill it 3/4 up with water and 1/4 with vinegar and spray him anytime he tries to lunge. For the fear, that may just be because he's afraid of the new strange place he's in, give him a little while, just give him treats and love, he'll come around. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The other thing that he is doing is trying to gain his dominance over the household. When you correct him, make sure that you also roll him - sit on him if need be - to show that you are the alpha in the house. Even your children need to make sure they are in chain of command above him.

One thing that we do - is that no animal eats before the humans. This shows that the humans of the house are higher then the animals in the chain.

Hope you are able to get his behavior under control.

4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    my first question would be " Is he neutered"? If not this is the first thing that you should have done.