The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Question first story last)

I have 2 mama goats that i didnt get wormed the last round because they had young kids. (safeguard) now there kids are 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 months and the mamas have pale eyes and scours. Im going to separate the mamas from the kids and worm them. But im leaving today at lunch and won't be back till Saturday. Im going to get my neighbor who also has goats to check on them. I also had one yesterday that wasent feeling very good but no scours that morning and i wormed her and she was fine today. Then there was one that got sick a few months ago but was better and she isn't acting very good this morning.

I've only been caring for these goats for a few months and my old goats never got sick what am i doing wrong this time? Everything that can go wrong pretty much has. Im to the point where in 2 weeks im taking half of them to auction :( just so i can focus on one at a time. ill probably make a "keep or cull" thread in a few days when maybe all this cools down so you more experienced guys can show me what I should do. :(

·
Registered
979 Posts
safeguard doesn't work well in a lot of areas. Best thing would be to get a fecal to test for worms AND coccidia to see what you are dealing with. If you can get a fecal done, I'd go ahead and give Ivomec+ to cover your bases on the worms and treat for coccidia...moms and kids...with sulment or something else. you treat three times, ten days apart for worms. Check the sticky on medicine doses for amounts.

I would also consider whether or not thay have had their CD/T vaccination. If not, I'd buy antitoxen. If they don't start to feel better with the worming, I'd give anti toxen. If they do...I'd vaccinate to keep them that way. I would also feed a few tums to the does every day to get calcium back in balance. Cant hurt...

You might also get a temperature....could be dealing with an infection too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where can you get these medicines and wormers? tractor supply?

Thank you im tired or dealing with this "as soon as one gets better one gets sick" mess. I won't be able to get it until this weekend do you think they will be ok until then? I wish i could just stay home with them but no way will my parents let me do that. :(

Yall help more than you know around here all these ******** dont believe in vets and even the vets dont know squat about goats. Even if i tell my parents one of them dosent look good they laugh at me and tell me im worrying to much. It drives me crazy. :( yall actually know what im talking about. :D

·
Super Moderator
59,751 Posts
If you don't have a vet that could do fecals on your goats, then I would get the Ivomec Plus and get Sulmet. You can get them at TSC. We can't guarantee that it will be fine till the weekend but you will have to do what you can do.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate this phone it keeps being dumb!

So now 3 does have scours but are acting fine. And I was just informed that my little sister and her friend gave them a pile of corn stalks. So thats why they are like that but now the only one i have to worry about Is the one that acts bad this morning. The neighbors are coming to get her and take her to there place to keep an eye on her and they said they might give her a penicillin shot.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Don't know if anyone said this but give them free choice minerals if they don't already have some minerals are a key part in fast red blood cell production!

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
scours can be more than just a worm issue...I agree treating with a broad base wormer like Ivomec plus is a good idea...and sulmet certainly wont hurt...if they were fed things they should not have and now have scours I would think the rumen is struggling..C D Antitoxin every 6 hours will help protect against toxins and Probios to help restore flora...electrolytes to encourage hydration...no grain at all until you see berries...hay only..fresh tree leaves are ok ...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone.... We have officially quit with the stupid safeguard, before the safeguard we gave feed wormer but were afraid they weren't eating enough of it so we tried safeguard and about everyone looks bad...

We are still gone but the neighbors recommended a blue wormer that they used to use and they said it would clear up mostly anything so we went and bought some to give them before we left. They checked her this morning and she was much better than yesterday so im hoping the blue stuff will get her 100%

...Ive decided doing this might help a whole lot. im just starting everything over, everything i thought i new im going to pretend to forget. Just pretend I've never seen a goat in my life and please yall experienced goat owners tell me step by step what i need to do, every little thing they need, and sicknesses, medicines, basic knowledge, and anything i need to know that way ill know how to do this and how to keep my babies healthy. Any info gladly welcomed :) im just kinda confused and discouraged, hoping yall will help me be more successful with all of this.
If i need to move this last post where should i move it? Im still a little new to this site too....

Thank you again :)

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
wow..thats a tall order lol...you already have the most important thing to raising healthy goats...a willingness to learn ;)
dont throw everything out that you have already learned..even when things dont go right we learn from them....now you know that safeguard does not work for you..so choose a good broad base wormer that does..like Ivomec plus and Valbazen..: )

Im sure you will get tonsof wonderful and insightful advice..and if you want to know something not addressed..be sure to ask :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts